what makes grilling indoors on a gas or electric grill better than basic oven or pan

I just don't get other than appearance-grill marks; I can see grilling over hickory coals etc, I just don't understand why cooks emphasize grilling meats, as if its better (on the food channel).

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Sesring the meat with flames can hold in juices and flavor. Also, grilling means the fat drips off and the meat is not being cooked in extra calories.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Grilling indoors usually means the food is raised and the fat and grease runs off rather than soaking back into the foods. It's healthier for you, but dosnt mean it tastes any better.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Simple: grilling = high heat = juicier, more tender meat. It also keeps the meat from cooking in it's own fat, which means you're ingesting less fat, and by extension, less calories....but the searing is the key. A grill gets much hotter than any domestic stove top. And because the higher heat creates a better "crust" on the meat, it does improve the flavor, IMO...but it doesn't leave any pan juices to make gravy (definitely a downer for me! lol).
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008