sick baby..help!

My 4 month old baby has had a cold all weekend, but he seems to be fine during the day just really congested at night. He went to bed around 8 and just woke up about 20 minutes ago. As he was eating he started coughing.. it was really raspy sounding, not like a regular cough. Croup has been going around the daycare he is in and I am scared it is that, but he also has nose and eye drainage. He is not coughing constantly, and it doesn't really sound like a bark, but I am paranoid because I heard that babies can die from that. I was wondering, do they die because they are coughing so much they can't breathe, or do they die in their sleep because they can't breathe? He is sleeping peacefully now with his vaporizer but I wasn't sure if it was an ER trip type of thing or just a wait till the morning and call the pedi type thing... and, does it sound like croup or something else?

IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 12:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE IT ALL UNDER CONTROL.
    MIXED

Answer by MIXED at 12:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• call the hospital it will make you feel better and you will know if you should bring him in Good Luck : )
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree, it seems like you have it under control. My 4 month old has had a cough for a month and they keep saying it's just a cold, it sounds like a bark too. Because of the drainage it sounds more like a cold...the dripping of drainage down the back of the throat can cause them to cough too and also puke (which is what I'm experiencing this weekend). If he's not running a fever then I would just call your doc in the morning.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• ahh that makes me feel better.. now I might actually sleep tonight. Thanks ladies!
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 12:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You're in a breastfeeding group, so I assume he's nursing. Your milk is liquid gold; you can squirt a couple drops up his nose a few times a day to relieve stuffiness and help him heal faster.
    Good luck to you both.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• no actually I stopped nursing about a month ago.. not cuz I wanted to, I wish I still was!
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 12:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• One thing to check for in a baby who is sick with a resp infection is retracting...They suck in their gut to breathe. If your baby is doing that while sleeping then I personally would bring him in to the ER. Also if a baby is coughing and you notice them getting worn out by the coughing check the lips fingernails and hands to see if they are turning blue. I have been there done that so many times...

Just make sure to keep your babys nose clean{booger picked out} and if you can have the baby sleep at an angle where his head is elevated...This way he won't choke on any drainage. Just keep a good eye on him and if you see him retracting or having difficulites breathing while sleeping...Bring him in...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i dont know where you live, but i know where i am theres a "nurses help line" and you can call and ask questions about that kind of stuff and they will reccommend something to do..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008