how to get a 1 year old to sleep??

My granddaughter Camilla, will take naps in her crib with NO problem but she screams when she's put down for the night. We've thought it was her teeth but have crossed that off. I have never had a child this young afraid of the dark but that is really what we think now. HELP!!

WAganma56

Asked by WAganma56 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask Mom what her nite time routine is for the baby. It could be as simple as that. Kids like and need a routine and get really used to them so find out what Mom or Dad do before bedtime and try that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Definatly need a routine and been consistant with the routine. Maybe eat dinner, take a bath, read a story, put to bed, sing a song. I'd put a little night lite if you think shes afraid of the dark, maybe something she likes (princess night lights, winnie the pooh, etc)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Our 11 month old started to fuss during bed time, it initially was teething but evolved into what we think is fear of the dark, I've started using a Tyke Light, its in the night light section at Walmart and it has 3 settings, the first is 15 min timer, the other 2 are constant hi/lo light. 15 min usually does the trick, otherwise I'll leave it on lo and turn it off on my way to bed.
    rjdorsey

Answer by rjdorsey at 1:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Is cosleeping an option? They go thru a seperation anxiety stage at about her age.
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 9:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2008