Do you have to....

Put pies in the fridge? I baked two pies today and don't know if they need to be refrigerated. Apple and berry...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• WELL IF IT IS REALLY WARM IN YOUR HOME YOU MAY WONT TO PUT THEM AWAY. BUT AS LONG AS THEY ARE COVERED THEY SHOULD BE FINE.
    MIXED

Answer by MIXED at 12:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i only put pies w/ milk ingredients (pumpkin) in the fridge. i've always kept my baked goods in the microwave...im not sure why tho
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I would put them in the fridge. Unless they will be eaten in 2 days or less. You can always zap them in the microwave if you want them warm. But refrigerating them keeps down on germs and bacteria. Better safe than sorry I say.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I'm sure you wouldn't die from eating pies that have been out, but I would refrigerate. Anything wet and warm is going to be a huge breeding ground for bacteria. Although having said that, its amazing any of us survive because lord knows we've all eaten the stuff that should have, in theory, killed us!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Generally speaking, fruit pies will be fine on the counter if they will be eaten within a couple of days. After that, refrigerate them. I understand people's natural inclination is to think they will be teeming with bacteria because we've always been taught warm+wet=bacteria. However, fruit pies have plenty of sugar, which inhibits bacterial growth, and generally don't have much in the way of protein, which is needed for bacterial growth, so they're perfectly safe to keep on the counter, covered with a tea towel or flour sack cloth towel for a few days. It's been done for generations, and no one's died yet :)
    Custard and cream pies, which have more protein due to the dairy products, do need to be kept refrigerated however.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2008