At what age should your child begin brushing their teeth? and when should they start going to the dentist?

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 9:16 AM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• First dental visit should be at or around 3 and you should let them attempt brushing their teeth when they show interest and make sure that you get in a good cleaning before or after they brush.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:17 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would say as soon as they get their front and bottom teeths moms should be using the little finger toothbrushes on their babies. Bt 18-24 months the child should be shown how to use a toothbrush and be using it regularly. By the time the child is 3-4 they should go to the dentist.

Answer by gemgem at 9:18 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You should always brush their teeth....when they can do it themselves great but till then you should still do it. As far as going to the dentist it depends on your kid...my son is 2 and there is no way he would be able to go. I think about 3-4 i will start to take him...he dosnt do well with people looking in his mouth...its bad enough when we have to go to the doctors let alone a dentist...Hope this helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on May. 23, 2011

• my daughter begged me to start at like 2, so i let, her and she got into the habit, she loved looking at her teeth when she was done. i dont know about the dentist, around 3 she should go for the first time.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:19 AM on May. 23, 2011

• For mine brushing around 2ish, first dental visit by 3ish. (I think)
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:22 AM on May. 23, 2011

• you should be wiping their gums with a warm cloth before bedtime from the start, then begin brushing any teeth (gently) when the first one comes in, wiping the gums otherwise. You're getting them used to the feeling and preparing them for the act of brushing and dental care. Doctors say first visit around 3, but pediatiric dentists will recommend by 2. If you have the insurance, i would begin at age 1. That's what we did, becasue insurance paid for it. My son has never had a problem with brushing or going to the dentist because it's just part of our routine now:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:25 AM on May. 23, 2011

• The AAP actually recommends taking your baby at one or within 6 months of their first teeth. I took my one year old last month & she recommended brushing at least twice a day (with or without a non-fluoride toothpaste). What surprised me is that she said parents should remain in charge of tooth brushing until the child is around 7! Crazy.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:28 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Get a baby gum brush and start early, REALLY early! I was told to take them to their first dental appt by age 1 (there are some dentists that won't do this early, however, so you might have to call around).

Good luck!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:37 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My sons Is one and has 16 teeth the den. Said we shouldn't have waited until he was one as soon as he gets one tooth we was brushing and when he got 5 he should be seen by the den. I have brushed my baby's gums even as newborns but I wait until a year to take him to the den
    Littlemomma174

Answer by Littlemomma174 at 3:26 PM on May. 23, 2011