Do you think its rude to...

miss a birthday party (not take your child to a party he was invited to) because its during nap time?

Why or Why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• i dont think its rude but i think you should go, its one day out of the week or month or whatever. but i dont think its rude if you dont go.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If it's a baby under 9 months old they invited him so YOU would get a present. Dont go if it interupts the baby's schedule and routine or go after baby wakes up. If your child is older than a year try to get the nap in early or still go after the kid wakes up. It's not rude to not go because it messes up babys schedule.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I'm not sure, but if you want to be friends with the mom I would go. How would you feel if someone missed your kids birthday for that?

I have a rule that we go to all bday parties unless my child is deathly sick or we really really really have to be someone else that is important (usually I reschedule around the party.)

If its a kid with lots of friends and you know that lots and lots of people will be there, then I wouldnt't really worry about it, but if you're not sure..... you need to go. There's a chance that no one would go to the kids bday party - how sad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Let them eat cake!!! lol my mom used to not let me go to bday parties when I was little and it was hard when all the kids were doing things and I was left out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i dont think its rude......but i do think its kind of a sad excuse on not going..if someone told me they couldnt come to a bday party cuz it was nap time..id be like what the helllll...i wouldnt be mad..but..id think that was a lame excuse..and they shouldve thought of something better..lol..its one day..one nap..who cares!! let 'em go!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I opt out of bday parties all the time. They are usually parties given by dd's school friends I do not even know and I don't feel too bad about it. I would never miss a friend's party who we both know or skip bc I didn't feel like going. In the end, it's up to you. If you REALLY don't want to go, don't. Whoever it is will get over it.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 5:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yeah it is, move that days nap! My sister constantly makes her kids moss out on stuff because it is during a scheduled time for something that can me pushed up or back a bit and it drives me crazy! Like the oldest couldn't do baseball one year because the youngest would have had to go to bed 1/2 hour later and the middle couldn't do something because dinner is at 5 pm and that would have had to move! GET OVER the schedule shit and live by the kids not your convince!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• yeah one day. skip the nap.. jmo
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree. The "all or nothing rule" is not a good reason not to go. If you simply don't want to go, or even if you would rather your child not miss his scheduled nap, then decline saying you have something else planned that day--don't use the nap excuse, it is kind of lame.

My SIL wouldn't let her 4 daughters play any sport or join any club unless ALL of them played or participated in the SAME sport/group! As a result, they usually missed out on a lot of activities.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008