Breastfeeding and need advice

hi, i have a 2week old daughter and im breastfeeding, basically im always stuck in the house and it would be nice to get out but my baby is always hungry and falls asleep whilst feeding so she eats more often i do pump my milk but its difficult as shes always easting and i bearly have milk left afterwards, im just worried if i take her out and take some pumped milk and its not enough for her.. i wouldnt find it comfortable breastfeeding in public, what would u suggest, thnks x

nasreen19

Asked by nasreen19 at 9:23 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's only two weeks old- this is the hardest time to nurse because you're still trying to establish supply & she's still learning to eat (and taking FOR-ever). I started giving my daughter one bottle a day at 2 weeks old- but the flip side to that is you have to pump your ass off to get enough to fix a bottle to take with you. Good luck & remember- the newborn phase doesn't last forever :)
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:26 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Well this is common for a 2 week old, they feed and feed. As long as she's having 6-8 wet diapers a day, she's getting enough. As far as going out in public, go ahead. If you have milk stored then use that if she gets really cranky and wants to eat. She could also just want to suck on something to be soothed, and not nessesarily hungary. You might want to try a pacifier, it might take her a few times to get used to it, but some babies need to suck on something. My son needed his pacifier and my daughter sucked on her finger. Even formula fed babies feed like your daughter does. It's common, they have to learn to eat and their digestive system is still very immature.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:27 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You could always go back to your car to feed her...i know some people who would go sit in the bathroom so they didnt feel like there just out there...you can also get those things that cover you up so that noone can see anything and there is just a small little "window" so you can see her. But try to pump as often as you can and mainly when she is down for a nap...good luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:28 AM on May. 23, 2011

• A lot of people will disagree with me, but I always did everything I could to keep my babies awake while feeding - tickling their feet, undressing them, etc. I would even change their diaper in the middle and switch sides I was nursing on to encourage them to get a full feeding so they would stretch out the time between feedings. By 2-3 weeks they were regularly going 3 hours between feedings, and had a fairly set routine so I would plan to leave as soon as he/she finished and be back before the next feedings. Also, I wouldn't do it often but you can supplement with formula on occasion. (just don't do it often enough that it messes with your supply, and make sure you carry along some extra nursing pads and maybe an extra shirt!)

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You can always go out to your car to nurse. After she has been nursing for awhile it will get easier. Getting a nursing cover is also very helpful. I know some places in the malls have sitting areas in the bathrooms or you could always go in a dressing room to sit for awhile. good luck trust me it will get easier!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I remember these days. Dd ate every hour for weeks and weeks. I didn't pump bc in the beginning Dd was eating so often and I was letting her regulate my supply. At first I was really uncomfortable with feeding in public, but I got to the point where I had to do it or I would go crazy from being inside all the time. Go to a place where you know you can find a somewhat secluded spot to feed your baby. The more "practice" you get feeding in public the more comfortable you will get doing it. Also, join the bfing group on here for a lot of helpful advice. Wo the group I might not have made it thru the first month (Dd was bf until 12 months!)

Take it easy on yourself. The first weeks of bfing are so draining. Stick with it!! It gets SO much easier after the first 4-6 weeks:) hugs to you and your sweet little baby.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:33 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would just BF in public....You can always use a blanket.....throw it over your shoulder or sit in the car. I think people find it very nurturing to see new mommy with baby BF. That is one of the wonderful things about breastfeeding is that it should give you more freedom. You have the perfect formula always ready to go for baby. There have been many many times I pulled over the car, or sat in the car and nursed. I remember at the start feeling a little trapped in the house but eventually I started leaving...going for walks, going to the park..to the store, going for bike rides.....soon I was doing everything again. Just plan a little extra time and get a good sized blanket to throw over your shoulder and drape over the front of you.
    I agree with everyone above.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:53 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You do feel a little home bound when you have a new baby. Go on small outings or walks in the beginning where you're not out long. This is just the way it goes for the first bit. Like the other ladies have said, there are some great nursing covers, nurse in the car, maybe go to places that are BF friendly...It won't always be like this (:
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:09 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Take a blanket with you or buy a nursing cover to take with you. You can always go to a restaurant or some where with a booth for privacy. My best friend used to sit facing a corner till she got comfortable with nursing while out shopping. Most people will not be able to tell what you are doing with the blanket or nursing cover on and those that can probably breast feed anyway and won't care. It may help if you know someone else that is also breastfeeding to go with you the first few times or take someone who is supportive of you choosing to breastfeed with you. It will give you someone to talk to so you will not be worried about what others are thinking. You are doing what is best for you and your baby. You go Momma.
    meljac

Answer by meljac at 10:42 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Yeah I know what you mean, that's why I pump almost 90% of the time even tho I'm home. My son eats every 2 hours at the begaining and my milk didn't come back that fast and I"m running dry. I get more milk when I pump so it'll last for couple of feedings. Also, I can' go out if I want to. If I do bf I'll pump right after so I'll get everything out. sometime it's hard if I bf him in the middle of the night and I have to pump after, so I transition to 90% to pump. Also, if you have a lot of milk pumping is great, I prolly pumps about 4 times a day and enough to feed him all day and some extra.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:29 AM on May. 23, 2011