tried webmd, please help if possible

my 4yo son just woke up crying. he is complaining that his right knee is hurting. he is crying so hard that he can barely breath. he is very restless. no other symptoms and the knee on the surface looks and feels fine. i checked webmd and it was no help. i would like to know if anybody else has experienced this with their children?

I would have put this under kids health, but there is no traffic there.

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Health

• Maybe he is having growing pains. I had them A lot when I was young and my 5 year old niece has them. It can be really painful, but all you can do is put a heating pad on and rub his knee.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 2:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• did he fall or anyhting earlier today? i would ask him that first. im not saying yours is, but sometimes my nephew is sometimes dramatic and really nothing is wrong... so try and pull some questions out of him. in the meantime id put some ice on it and hug on him and have him calm down a bit.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• he never acts like that. the only times were when he got burned and when he busted his head open.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Does he maybe just not want to go to bed? Did maybe he have a bad dream or "see something" and wanted an excuse to stay up? I would say that if he was sleeping and woke up crying from pain, there's really nothing that could have happened to his knee while he was in bed. I think it may be stemming from something else. I would talk to him. Good luck
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• okay i wasnt saying he was at all, i meant to pull some question to try and get an idea out of it sorry if it came off that way.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Does he let you touch it or rub it to make it feel better? Did he have toys in his crib or maybe his knee got stuck somewhere in his crib and he strained it or even broke it. I say that because when I was a baby I was playing in my playpen and I fell on a toy and broke my knee. I also didn't have any symptoms like bruising, swelling etc, but I was crying all the time too. My Mom finally had to take me to the doctor and she said that was the last thing she ever thought it could have been. I wish I could help more..

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Cinderella, hes 4....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Give him a dose of tylenol. You can also call ANY Emergency room and speak to the registered nurse on duty and ask them for FREE about this. Maybe he had a bad dream where he hurt his knee?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Why would you give him tylenol just because he said his knee hurts? Im sorry but VBruno i usually always agree with your answers, and this one just kinda made me go complete opposite direction.

give tylenol every time a child says their finger, or hand or arm or leg hurts? if he didnt fall and hurt it or have an explanation (hes 4 im sure he remembers the day he had) and there is no bruise or cut or anything i wouldnt give him tylenol, i would give him an ice pack and some love and kisses.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Could it be more in calf, like a leg cramp ? It can't hurt to try having him stand on a cold floor and wash his hands with warm water. I swear it works. Also it would not hurt to put a heating pad on his knee for a bit. If you don't have one, put rice in an old sock and heat it up in the microwave.

I hope that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2008