A question about home made pizza dough?

I found a recipe for pizza dough, but our family does not eat a lot. I could do a half recipe but I only have packets of yeast so half would be wasted. It says that you can freeze the dough if you aren't using all of it, but it does not specify if you freeze it before you let is rise, or after.

So, my question is, freeze it before or after letting it rise?

TIA!

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:36 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i found this:
    you can absolutely freeze pizza dough. If you do two rises, do it b/w the first and second rise. If you do one rise, do it after you make it. Shape it into a disk, zap it with little oil, saran wrap it and then put it into a ziplock. Deep freeze is better than your regular freezer b/c it can be frozen longer and won't tend to form as much ice on it. When you thaw it, take it out the night before and put it (still wrapped) into the fridge. A few hours before use, unwrap and oil it, put it in a big bowl and cover it as you would to proof. Use when it has risen. I am sure they say 3 months storage, but I have gone 6 months without ill effect. Also, you can oil up the dough portions, stuff them in a ziplock and store in the fridge for up to five days. Warm as I said above. You can make flat bread with them.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:40 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Freeze it after the first rise.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:39 AM on May. 23, 2011

• That's a good question! I know the times I bought premade dough, I had to let it rise after it dethawed so I would think that you freeze it before rising.
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 9:38 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You don't have to throw away the yeast. Put it in a baggie and stick it in the fridge or freezer.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:39 AM on May. 23, 2011

• We make separate crusts for everyone - small personal size. We lightly bake all of them, then freeze what doesn't get used. That way we always have crust in the freezer in case someone wants pizza either for lunch or when dinner just isn't what they wanted.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:51 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You can freeze the dough, though I prefer to freeze pizzas

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2011