I'm so worried about my baby

I can't study for my finals b/c I can't stop thinking about if he's ok or not :(
I have called the ER 4x today and they lean towards me not bringing him in. He puked again before bed. He's been puking since Friday. I feel bad for him, poor little guy can't eat more than 1 oz at a time. Have any of you experienced a baby being sick, throwing up? I'm sure someone has....my real question is how long before they did anything about it?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 1:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like they think it's a stomach virus. and there is nothing you can do for a virus other than keep him drinking fluids, even if it is only 1 oz at a time, so that he doesn't get dehydrated. they won't do anything at the hospital unless he is dehydrated then they would only give him an IV to make him hydrated again.

hope he feels better soon! :( poor little guy stomach viruses suck! and there's been one going around lately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Thats kind of a long time for him to be throwing up huh? Did you call another ER? If you haven't I would do that...because it seems too long for a baby to be throwing up. is he running a fever or anything else??
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• When baby has a fever or is dehydrated along with puking. Thats when the Dr wants to see them. If baby gets listless and tired all the time then you know it's dehydration from puking. If it's just a few times a day and baby holds down most of his meals and there is no fever i wouldnt worry about it just yet. The ER nurse knows what she is talking about.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You should just take him in, that is a lot of puking.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I get the idea that most viruses last for about 4 days, stomach ones like that. If you called the ER they should have given you some tips and things to look for as to regards of dehydration.

I am not sure due to his age, but there are suppositories for vomitting. My son had some around 18 months for a horrible stomach bug. It was our last resort until admitting him.

I would only feed him a few ounces anyway because the more you feed him and give him, it actually will make him throw up more. Usually I think they say not to drink for about 2 hours since throwing up. I am not sure with babies though. Most people keep trying to shove in liquid too soon and then it creates a viscious cycle.

Maybe call your pedi to order those suppositories ?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I took him in to the ER yesterday. He doesn't have a fever, he's not fussy, and he's not lethargic......so basically they won't do anything for him. I haven't called another ER b/c this one is a children's hospital and the other ones will just refer me to them. He's had a cough for a month and I took him to the doc 3x for it. They did a chest x-ray yesterday and it was clean. They said he's puking b/c of nasal drainage and to suction him, which I am. They said to bring him in if his mouth is dry, which it's not. I just feel so helpless. He's hungry but I can only feed him an ounce at a time, any more than that he pukes.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• don't call the er. just take him in. they cannot turn you away and for them to tell you not to bring him is just wrong. if you are that worried i would be on my way good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• What does your baby eat? If it's formula switch to a soy for the short term and give half strength so mix 4 oz water and 1 scoop formula and give 1-2 oz every half hour. In between give pedialyte in small amounts and see if he does better with that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Maybe it's reflux. My little brother did exactly the same thing. He would throw up , but wasn't fussy or feverish or anything else. Basically the valve that kept his stomach closed was not working correctly so if he ate too much at one time, he'd throw up. He had to sleep with a wedge in his crib at night and when he took naps. He grew out of it. Call your pediatrician and ask him/her about it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2008