How do you protect your tween from himself..his own innocence and immaturity?

he's way into girls now..which is fine (can I have my little boy back?)

but he writes these love notes to these girls at school he likes and ends up making a fool of himself. He puts his emotions on his sleeve and then gets trampled after having his hopes up.

I saw a love note of his today and anyone else would think of it as creepy or wierd if they didn't know him personally. I feel so bad for him and feel like I gotta protect from himself. He's got Asperger's too, which makes him act more immature than his actual age.

I tossed the note and dirty drawings he's been making. I hope he doesn't notice. I won't let him make a fool of himself if I can help it. He gets teased at school enough as it is. Why feed them more excuses?

Thanks for any feedback

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Talk to him often about what is appropriate and not. He could have a private journal to write in but it is only for him and not other kids.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:55 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I think all boys and girls go through this. You just have to let him learn on his own and be there when he falls. It is a part of growing up. I would maybe offer some advice or some stories from your youth about what girls like.

Answer by gemgem at 9:53 AM on May. 23, 2011

• talk to him about how others would feel about the drawings....explain that everyone's brain works differently and just because he thinks something is ok others may not.....so its ok to write these things and show how you feel on paper but have you (the mom) read it before he gives it to someone else so he can have a second opinion......or something to that effect........its worked out well for my little guy who is 9 and also has aspergers

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on May. 23, 2011