Leaving my job? My boss is making it difficut.

I put in my notice 2 weeks ago to take another position. Next thing I know my district shows up at my job complaining. She said she really wants me to stay. She said she went through so many other canadiates. The compliments are nice but this company has nothing for me. No growth. Benefits are horrible. No perks.

So I decided to stay. (Stupid) Since then the job I had interviewed with called back even after I turned the position down. They offered roughly the same amount of money plus bonuses. Plus better health insurance. Which is really what I need with 3 kids. We have no health insurance at this time and the insurance with my exsisting company costs almost 800 a month. I can't afford that. Plus it is horrible and does not cover much.

I feel like when I put in my notice again she will beg again. I hate confrontation and my boss is really pushy. I know I will put her in a bind if I leave but I feel like this would benefit my family. How should I break the news. I really don't want to give a full 2 week notice because I feel like she will give me a hard time about it. I am a single mom. She acts like I have someone to lean on.I know I am being a whimp...However I want to leave peacefully. I don't want to leave on bad terms either. I wish I could describe my bosses personality. She is nice but a bully.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are you one of my coworkers???? just kidding.
    You have to do what is best for your family. Given this set of circumstances I would just leave.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:07 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Oh no you do not have to explain. I would tell her that the job you found offers more benefits and bonuses. If she is willing to give you better benefits and/or more money to cover the cost of insurance or bonuses then you may consider staying otherwise you need to move on. Let her know how much you appreciated working with her and how much you loved your job but your first priority is taking care of your family....and you need more money. It is just something you "have to" do. Ask her if it doesn't work out can you come back?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Make sure you have a new position before giving notice. It isn't written in stone for a two-week notice, give one or none. Good luck!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:10 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would have a sit-down with her and just be very honest. You need to do what is right for YOU....if she can match everything the other company is offering then you can consider the options then. YOU and your CHILDREN come first....nobody is going to put you there other than you. Feeling bad is understandable...but don't let guilt suck you in. Best of luck!!
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 10:11 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have been offered the job. I would never leave unless I have a job in place. I guess I just don't want to give two week notice because she will make it hell for me the two weeks I stay.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 AM on May. 23, 2011

• give one week and tell her that you are leaving because the job is more beneficial to you!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:24 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You have compelling reasons to just leave. One thing to ask yourself, do you plan to have her give you a reference in the future? To be honest, more people are not giving 2 weeks notice. While it is a professional courtesy, it sounds like it wouldn't be particularly beneficial. As long as you weren't needing her for a personal reference--all she can really legally say is that yes you worked for her for x time for x pay. There isn't much she can do to you. You could say that the new job was ready for you to start and that you needed to begin before the beginning of the month to get your benefits set up. Frankly, I'd just go to the new job and shake the dust from your feet. I'm glad to hear positive work news! Good luck with the new job!!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would go to the better job. Be honest with your boss, tell her there is NO room for growth here, NO insurance, NO benefits to staying. And you have to make the move that is best for you and your family. Don't settle because your boss doesn't feel like looking for another employee, it's not your problem!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:08 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Go for the better job...give 2 weeks notice and see if they want you to do the 2 weeks. If it is too much...just go. Go with your gut...that feeling is usually right!!
    Good Luck!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 2:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sounds like you already put in a 2 weeks notice and if they talk wrong about you it sounds like they will if you leave on good or bad terms anyway. I left a job putting in a 2 weeks notice and my boss told me to go ahead and leave after the week was up with no hard feelings. Then she turned around and put into the office a slip saying she fired me and now I can not work for the company again. I didn't care that I left now bc I don't want to work for a person like that anyway.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 5:00 PM on May. 23, 2011