Other options for preschool?

Next year my daughter is going to kindergarten, this year I was planning on sending her to preschool so we could both be prepared for kindergarten ( she has never really been away from me) ...

I just found out there is no way we can afford preschool...The one I was planning on sending her too I just got in info... we were already kind of pushing it money wise but there is no way we can afford another $400 / month ( and that is just for 2 days a week) ...

The free one ( that goes on your income) is clear across town, and also might be shutting down sue to alot of problems they are having ( some of them due to the health dept. coming in -- so I wouldnt send her there even if it was next door) ....

So now I am stuck and I need to think of some things that could prepare my daughter for kindergarten... we already work on things like letters, numbers, etc ( she knows all of that) .... it is manily being away from me, and social skills ... She plays tball now, but i really cant think of anything else, besides dance class but neither of those will prepare her form being away from me since I ( have to) stay to watch her....

Did your child do OK without being socialy active BEFORE kindergarten... ( i actually wasnt, but I remember thinking everyone was my friend the first day too lol)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Preschool isn't the be all and end all, Pick a t-ball mom you like and arrange to swap kids once a week. At first you want to stay when they play at the other house and the other mom will want to stay at your house, but after 2 or 3 weeks you should be able to run to the grocery store for 20 minutes while she plays.  When they go off to Kindergarten you two can go out to lunch.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:41 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Have you talked to your local church to see if they have a Mother's Morning Out program? A lot of those are less expensive than a traditional preschool but would get her used to being away from you. Also, some of the churches around here have "lunch bunch" which is a drop off program, it's $20/day for 2 hours, but you only pay on the days you drop her off.
    My kids all went to preschool, so I'm not sure how they would have done without it. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:15 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i know nickjr has a preschedule curriculm and what about my gym. they have these programs when you join that you can keep the kids there and the parents go out like a date night. i know you said money is tight. i know you have to be a member to do something like that. i sure she will be fine. i would try to get together with playgroups ect and maybe have others babysitter while you do some errands. you can always start that way. sometimes gyms have babysitters while you work out. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:17 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I just finished a year of joy school with my daughter. It's a school you do with other moms taking turns to be the teacher. There are prepared lesson plans, and I paid $70 for the whole year of lesson plans, plus some for supplies when it was my turn to teach. We went through valuesparenting.com ; I'm sure that's not the only provider of such programs.

Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 10:23 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I didn't send either of my children to preschool before they went to kindergarten and they both did just fine. The older one is outgoing and just thought everyone was her friend. The younger one is more introverted and she had a few days that she got upset and cried but after a week she was alright. I took them to the schools open house before it started they got to meet the teacher and all that fun stuff. I also talked about what would happen and what to do if they got lost and couldn't find their class so much that they were sick of it.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:43 AM on May. 23, 2011

• $400 a month is too high. I send my Son 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours & it's $270 per month. I really believe it is a good thing to attend preschool. I really see a difference in him. I am sure if you go through the local papers that you can find one that is less expensive. I even found ones for $200 & less per month & we live in the very costly suburbs of NY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm so glad we lived in Chicago when 3 of my 4 kids were in preschool. All 3 of my girls went to the park district preschool. 2 days a week for 2 hours each day and it cost me like $180 for the entire year (Sept-May). Anything more and we couldn't afford it. My son never went. We were living in another state and the only options for preschool were private (like $8000/year per kid) or Head Start which was literally downstairs from us (we were in the same building) but we made too much money. Church schools were too expensive and not an option I wanted (being an atheist and not ready to introduce my kids to the world of religion). He started kindergarten right before he turned 6 never having been to any kind of school and was fine. He walked in the first day with just a wave. Of course my kids were taught to be independent since they were toddlers so it wasn't even an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Call the school she will be going to some of them have preschools. Get in touch with some homeschooling groups or some play groups some times they will trade sitting for free after you get to know each other of course. Check your library for reading groups and things like that. Some schools will also have information on summer programs or camps that are half day.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Many churches have private programs and cost less than many private school options. There are many wonderful alternatives. For example putting together your own program. In my local library there are age based story time programs, the zoo offers a preschool animal program, and there are several other mom groups and you g child programs. The key for me is using tge free parenting magazine for my area to find out local listings of events and programs. You can patch together opportunities that are very enriching while teaching at home basic number recognition, counting, writing, cutting, coloring, and reading. Not to mention math. You can purchase home workbooks for any age at most bookstores. And your schedule is flexable so no need to worry about the unexpected. I also include the Y sports in our routine.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Cost is relative. I pay over a thousand a month. It isn't about where your child goes but the experience she gets. If you can create a great experience for less...do it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:40 PM on May. 23, 2011