Are people CPS happy...?

i see so many question regarding if people should call cps on other parents because of this and that. i know there are alot of abuse out there but some of the stuff i read it makes me wonder they would call cps just because the parents doesn't parent the same way that you do. what does everyone else think?

i am not talking about seeing a child being slap in the face. i am talking about seeing someone struggling with the 2yr old to get into the carseat and then just giving a little wack on the bottom and people call that abuse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• People are out of control, CPS or DFS ( missouri) should not be called b/c a mom yells, or sadi a bad word, or lives is a clean 1 bedroom ( as opposed to a 2 bedroom) or b/c a kid forgot thier jacket...etc. This is ABUSE of the system and that is why they cnt care well for the kids in the system b/c omay kids arein there that dont NEED to be! Funds are so short from this BS! I think peopl needto mind their own when it come to minor disagreements in parenting that arent life threatening!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:02 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Totally. I had them called on me last year. The reason? My prepubescent boy was stinky. Uh, hello? He's a sweaty boy! Of course he stinks from time to time. Even after deodorant in the morning I have to be careful not to inhale when I hug him in the afternoons or I just about get knocked out. People need to use common sense more often.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:25 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree.. it's a question they are asking not necessarily doing.. and gosh I hope not cause there are serious abuse cases that need the focus.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:19 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Seems to be.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:27 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I think some people are to CPS happy....but in my opinion I would rather be safe then sorry. If there is nothing wrong then the parents have nothing to fear. Yes it might cause them a little stress. But I would rather know that the kid is for sure safe.

Now that being said....I am not going to call CPS because I see a kid get a spanking. I did call CPS on a lady who had four children under the age of four and not one car seat for any of them. She routinely drove them around with the oldest (not even four) holding the baby (about five months) and the twins that were a little under 2 climbing around the back seat. I even offered to buy her carseats. She would also leave the oldest home with the younger ones while they were napping to run to the store with a webcam on them and her husband watching them from work. She was seriously whacked out. There were a lot of other issues with her too.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:28 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I do think there is a lot of "Call CPS" talk here at CM. I never knew what CPS was until I started reading here at CM. Nobody in my real life...LOL...anywhere I have lived ....has ever even mentioned calling CPS and I never knew what it was. I don't know---maybe it is because they are normal people?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have oftened worried about having CPS called on me. My dd bruises really easy just like me. Her legs tend to look like someone beat the crap out of her when in reality she is rough and tumble, doesn't pay any attention to where she is going, and plays outside all the time. She is well fed, clean, and well rounded. Also....if I spank my kid it is my business. I don't beat her. But I will smack her hand or butt if I deem it necessary. Yesterday at the flea market she was walking around touching EVERYTHING. I told her to stop and she didn't. I smacked her hand (not hard) and she just kind of looked at me and quit touching everything in sight. Sometimes she just zones out and some sort of contact is needed. I am sure though if the wrong person had seen me smack her hand they would have called the cops.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have had them called on me because my autistic son insisted on wearing a short sleeve shirt in the winter. Totally not kidding lol. Mind you he had a jacket over it, but apparently someone at the school felt I was neglecting him. My ex has called them on me too claiming all sorts of things.
    I dont usually call cps. I call the police or security if I see abuse. It is much more effective imo. I dont spank and dont appreciate my kids having to see other kids get spanked. If someone seems out of control in public spanking or threatening their child I call the cops. Cps takes its time and by the time cps gets around to them they can talk their way out of it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:53 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I see it and I know sometimes people use it too much the second you turn someone in they spend that time trying to prove they are not abusing their child and most of the people I know use it as a get even or even control never thinking of the consequences to the person they are turning in. The true abusers never seem to be caught.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:56 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i agree. that is why i was just wondering how everyone else felt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on May. 23, 2011