Surgery and kids??

Have any of you moms had surgery where you would not be able to lift your babies? How did you habdle this I feel helpless... I cannot lift my daughter what am I suppose to do I do not want to pop my staples out urghhh I just want to cry any advice would be great! Oh my husband is at work cant afford anymore time off! My mother is useless and will not help and that is all I have around me :(

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 10:27 AM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old is your daughter and where are your staples? What are your restrictions? What exactly did the doctor say, like no heavy lifting? Or nothing over five pounds? Need more details!

I had my gallbladder out when my son was 5 months, and I had to lift him but I just had laproscopic incisions, so I fed him on my lap. If you have an older child, maybe you can sit down on the floor and she can crawl into your lap for a cuddle instead of you having to lift her, and you can put a pillow over your incision site to protect it? PM me if you want...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I am so sorry that you are going through this. I had my gallbladder out when my youngest was 20 months. I was lucky to have a friend help out 2x a week and my mom helped the other 2 days (DH works a 4 day week.) My mom wasn't very helpful and pretty much complained about having to baby sit me and the baby.

We devised a system for me to help him climb in and out of the crib as needed. And he would climb into my lap for hugs or cuddle time.

Hope you recover quickly!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:34 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I had hernia surgery I have 20 staples through the center of my stomach straight through my belly button he said nop lifting till this thursday when he takes the staples out my daughter turned 1 yesterday and my other two are 2, and 3.... My husband put her in her play pen before he left, but she cant stay there all day....
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 10:35 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes. Twice. My dd was around 18 months and 20 months with my surgeries and it does suck. Do you have any friends or cousins, aunts, or anyone like that who can come and help? Otherwise if the child is old enough to be too heavy to lift then have them get onto the bed or sofa and they can lay their head on your lap or hold your hand.

Answer by gemgem at 10:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have when my little ones were a couple of months, 1 and 2 years. There were time when I had to ignore the recommendation, hubby was out to sea and my family lived on the opposite coast. We mostly did everything from the floor. I could not put the littlest one in and out of bed. At 1 and 2 they were very helpful it was the baby that I had a hard time with. Hope you figure something out.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:02 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I've had surgery twice when my son was small and both times my mom came to help, plus I had neighbors who would help too, so it wasn't so bad for me. Perhaps you could hire a mother's helper until you get your staples out? Or maybe someone from your church/religious institution could come help or take shifts helpinng unitl your DH comes home for the day? Or could you ask a neighbor to come help for at least part of the day? I hope you can get some help soon.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yep, had a c-section and came home to my 13 month old. It was rough for a bit but I make it through with help of family.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:24 PM on May. 23, 2011