Do you let your kids play outside on their own?

My dd is 8 1/2. I let her play outside on her own or with friends. She is allowed to play between the house next door and several houses down where a friend of hers is. In between there are several of her friends. I do check on her or have her check in from time to time but I do not sit outside with her the entire time. We have not had any issues and all the rest of the kids play outside in our neighborhood without constant supervision. I have friends who have kids older than mine in a different neighborhood and they don't let their kids outside without them.

What do you do?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:40 AM on May. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well i was aloud out side alone about age 7 or so i think it just depends on the kid
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:42 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i can keep a watchful eye on him from any window facing the front yard, as we live in a cul-de-sac, and if he's in the backyard, its privacy fenced/locked and the entire backyard is visible from any of the great room/breakfast area windows, as well. this isn't to say he's out there alone each time..we're usually out with him.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:43 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Mine is allowed to play out back in our fenced in yard (age 7) and I'll peek out every now and then but not allowed out front or to roam the neighborhood. In terms of his abilities - he's brilliant but lacks common sense and doesn't seem to remember to look before walking into a road or parking lot (when I'm with him) so I hardly trust him to do it when I'm not with him. Secondly, we have a registered offender right next door (found that out AFTER we signed the lease) and though DS knows about stranger daner and all that he doesn't hesitate talking to strangers or telling them our life story...so yeah, not mature enough to be out front yet and not some place I want him running the neighborhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I let my 7 yo son play outside too. We go over the rules before each time and I check on him from time to time. I live in the back of a neighborhood where there is very little car traffic. It is also the same exact street I grew up on and played outside by myself as well, so I feel that it is safe.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 10:45 AM on May. 23, 2011

• No my kids are not allowed outside without supervision. I am pretty paranoid about kids being abducted or hurt so I just feel safer knowing there is someone outside watching them. At my inlaws they can go outside but its set up where you can see what they are doing at all times.

Answer by gemgem at 10:45 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My 9 and 11 yo's have been playing outside alone since they were 8 or so. They are rarely alone because all the neighborhood kids play together, usually they are in and out of someone's house.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Only if I am sitting outside of at the window watching. If I am at the window she knows not to leave the area where I can see her.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:58 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't allow it in a big city. Just too many people and opportunities. But I'm normally in a small town/rural area so yeah I let DD go out. Youngest to allow that though is about 7.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Well my son is only 3-1/2 but I am with gemgem.. My DH And I both are over protective in that way - he'll have many other opportunities and other ways to show and learn his independence but not this way lol!~It could have to do with our neighborhood and creepy neighbors too though right now..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:20 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My boys are allowed to play outside on their own. We live on a quiet, dead-end street with a large herd of kids. My boys are 10 and 6.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:25 AM on May. 23, 2011