Would you be annoyed with the kids in the neighbourhood constantly ringing the door bell?

Usually I don't mind but when the kids are not home spread the word. There's 4 houses in our neighbourhood who have kids who call on mine. We have already answered the door 3 times today and it sounds like the kids are all playing together out there. Why must they keep knocking??? It's not like the kids are going to make it home since the last time they called!!!!
I'd love to put a sign our and say go away they're not home!!!!! (I'm not angry just annoyed I want a peaceful day)

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:45 AM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I felt like that a couple weekends ago but my kids were home. It just seemed every 5 minutes another kid was ringing our bell or knocking to see if one or the other could come out. Sometimes as soon as one of the kids would walk in the door it would start ringing because some other friend was looking for them. I was going crazy and eventually kicked all the kids outside so they would stop ringing, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Thats what my friend does LOL. My sons friends house is the go to house. I really dont know how they decide whose house is the go to house. Anyway it is so funny because his parents make a sign when the kids arent home and it says not to knock on the door because they arent home, or they are grounded or whatever.

Answer by gemgem at 10:47 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Do you know our neighbors? ;)

My [not] favorite exchange held through the screen on my front door:

Kid: Can L and M come out to play?

Me: No, sorry buddy. They are doing homework and then we have to eat dinner. They're in for the night.

Kid: But I want to play with someone. I'm bored!

Me: Sorry but L and M can't play this afternoon. Tomorrow they can play.

Kid: They're doing homework?

Me: Yes

Kid: Could I just come in and watch them and then play when they're done?

Me: No. You can not watch them do homework. Beside, when they are done, as I told you, they're eating dinner, then we have to go out and then it's bath and ready for bed. They can't play today. Tomorrow.

Kid: Can't I just come in and sit on your couch for a while?

Me: No. See you tomorrow.

Is it bad that I then closed the wooden door at that point so he couldn't ask me
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would be annoyed but the knocking and ringing of the door bell when kids are not home. And I would defiently put a sign on the door.
    Arielsmom2007

Answer by Arielsmom2007 at 10:48 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My neighbors put a sign out. Sometimes kids still knock on it though.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:49 AM on May. 23, 2011

• not as much as i am with the constant whirring and driving crazy through the streets (our are is made up of two hugh circles..small, but big enough to roam) with their golf-carts and 4-wheelers. i know one of these days i'm gonna be saying, ''well, i knew someone would get hurt one day..''
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:50 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Put a sign on the door.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:53 AM on May. 23, 2011

• We are THE house on the block. I swear, between the playscape, the trampoline and the pool it is like a bed and breakfast around here esp in the summer. My neighbor kids are finally getting the idea that when Will and Jack are called in they are IN. They know it is bath and bedtime. Some days I have to declare a moratorium on people coming over because I never get a break, you know to come home from work and enjoy my pool, or walk around in my darn underwear! We live in a neighborhood that is shall we say past its prime, and the parents let the kids run and stay out later than my kids are allowed, so at first this was a battle...it is getting better.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:17 PM on May. 23, 2011