Do you want your kids to have the opportunities that you have had?

Do you want them to have a better life than you have had? Do you think they will?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:27 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course I want him to have a better life. He has the smarts for it, he is a bit lazy, but I have faith and leave it to God.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• they already do.
    I want them to have the life they want, and comparing it to my childhood is really not important.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:30 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My kids childhoods are better than mine, they WILL have opportunities that I didnt get....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:31 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, I want my children to have the opportunities that I had and more ... will they? Not with our tyrannical government in charge. In fact, they'll have to face inopportunities that I've never seen.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:43 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Sure I do, though my parents made lots of financial sacrifices on behalf of my brother's and my education. I hope I can do the same, but I don't know if I can do it as well as they did.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:46 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Opportunities are what people make out of life. I want the very best for my children. I also want them to understand the very best isn't handed to them. As their parents, my husband and I can surround them with love, support, and teach them about responsibility. Add to the strong ethics of hard work, dedication, commitment, and personal responsibility~ I have no doubt they will be highly successful in all they choose to do... ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:48 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My kids DID have the opportunity to attend college and graduate and they all have happy rewarding lives and families. That made me happy. That's what I wanted for them. I had to pay for college because my parents didn't think girls needed college.LOL. That was in the 1950's.
    But the most important thing is that they are happy and healthy and have led very good lives and I can't see that changing ---they are in their late 30's and early 40's. They're good kids. I would hope for the same for the grandkids too.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:50 AM on May. 23, 2011

• As grown 20-somethings, they do not have the same opportunities that my husband and I had- The job situation in this country is anemic- Luckily my kids can live and work globally because they smart, independent and educated-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My kids are struggling to get through college. Unfortunately we are not in a position like my parents were to pay for their college. They are working for $10 and 12 dollars an hour while going to school. they live at home and we pay their insurance. If they don't get their degrees who knows what kind of life they will have. When my oldest moved out he was making (until he got laid off) 30,000 a yr and could hardly afford an apartment, insurance, food and utilities. I won't say they can't live like they do but it's not near like we lived 20 yrs ago or now.
    the oldest and his gf want to find a house but even in Tx it's hard to find a house that doesn't need $50,000 in repairs for less than $100,00. Saving money? Tough, they are saving for what they need today even though they all know SS will probably not be in their future. I just hope times change and what we have today is not the future for my kids
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My son has a much better start than we did. My husband and I are in a loving marriage and spend time with him. My parents were teens and were only together because they had 4 kids by 20. They felt stuck with each other.  We were very poor and went without the basics most of the time. 

My husband parents made much more money than we do now but it came at a price.  My mil is mentally ill and was left alone 14 hours a day 7 days a week with my husband and his brother.  They suffered because of her illness daily.  My fil was working so he could build a business and make money for his family.  He is well off now but he would give it all back to go back in time and protect his sons from their mother and spend time with them. My son has it better he has time and all he needs. 

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 1:06 PM on May. 23, 2011