How high should his fever get??

My Son Is 10 1/2 Months Old Last night ans tonight hes been runnina 103 fever, during the day it went down to 99, I cant remeber How How his fever should get before I take him to the emergency room. Tylenol has made it stay down during the day, but if im not giving it to him it goes back up. I am taking him the doctor tommorw no matter what tho

HeaterCool

Asked by HeaterCool at 2:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Health

• Infants age 7 weeks to three months with a fever over 101 warrant an appointment with your doctor within the next several hours. You generally don’t need to page your doctor in the middle of the night in this situation if the office opens within the next few hours. Simply follow our recommendations on treating fever below and call your doctor in the morning. If it is the early evening you should probably page your doctor, since the office won’t be open until the following day. Be sure to confirm any fevers with a rectal thermometer (if available) before contacting your doctor.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• CONT
    f your child of any age has one or more of the following symptoms, you should probably call your doctor right away:
    High fevers of 104 (40 Celcius) or higher that don't come down to 101 or 102 (38.3 to 38.9 Celcius) with the treatment measures below.
    Anonymous

• * Lethargy – this means more than your child just isn't acting right or laying quietly in your arms. Lethargy actually refers to your child being limp, lifeless, unresponsive, or won't make eye contact.
    * Irritability - this means more than just fussiness. A truly irritable child will cry for hours with minimal verbal interaction, and is almost impossible to console.
    * Meningitis – symptoms are high fever, stiff neck or pain in the back of the neck, vomiting, headache, bright light hurts the eyes. Before paging your doctor, you should also look up any other symptoms your child has, such as cough, vomiting, rash, etc and read those guidelines to determine your best course of action.
    Anonymous

• I went when my kids fever got 103. I was also told to give every four hours Motrin and then switch to Tylenol every other four hours. I also gave my kids lukewarmbaths to cool them off at night. And put cold compress towels on their foreheads and neck and wrists to help keep the temp down at night. I would ask your pediatrician what would be best for your child...

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It is quite normal for a fever to spike at night. Cant' remember why, but my dad who is a doctor had told me this. Hence the reason most parents spend all night freaked out, but during the day the kids seems better. Cruel !!!

My daughter has a fever disorder and before she even had that dx she would get 104-105 fevers. Honestly they will not do anything at the ER but take labs and a chest xray possibly. If it just seems like a commn virus etc...I would let if run it's course. She had many high fevers under 1 year of age, so were spent a lot of time at the doctor.

Obviously if other symptoms like a stiff neck, excessive lethargy, rashes, odd behavior etc...would be more serious. You can alternate tylenol and motrin. It's safe. I always made sure to give food though so no upset stomach.

I think you are good to wait out the night if a high fever is the only concern. Always go with your guy though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• a fever isnt a bad sign, its our bodies natural way of fighting something off. tylenol and motrin dont do anything except MAYBE stop the symptoms. but there is not any good to this when your body is trying to get rid of what is wrong with it by raising the temperature. i would start worrying when your childs temp is 101 or higher. and infants naturally have a higher temperature than adults also. so keep that in mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I recall my daughter getting a fever she was 3 1/2 and it was 105.6 They couldnt figure out what was wrong they just said it was just her body fighting to keep her self healthy. They had me give the tylenal and Motrin. I kept telling them she is cooking. But all was ok after afew days. Still never found out what was causing it. Take him to dr in morning outher wise do what you have been doing. Best of luck
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 3:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• OK to all the other pp that apparently arent aware .. a high fever in a child can cause brain damage .. 103 fever is too high for a baby that is 10 months old. You need to give your child a cool bath and tylenol to get the fever down, take the child to the doctor tmrw to make sure there isnt an infection of some sort. That would be my guess because you said the fever wont stay down, if you have to give the tylenol more than 4 times its time to go the ER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Call your pedi cuz everyone's answer is different including mine. My pedi said.... For a baby over 3 months it is normal is have a fever of 105 for several days. To treat it with tylenol or Motrin, if the child is puking do not give Motrin. Just make sure you give plenty of liquids and if the baby isn't drinking give it to them in a baby syringe. They fever can go up and down and after 3 days the fever is still there call your pedi again and go from there.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2008