I need help getting my 4 year-old to fall asleep by herself, and keep from waking me up in the middle of the night. Any suggestions?

When we transitioned from the crib to the bed, she did pretty well. Every night she needs me to lay down with her until she falls asleep. She usually wakes up at least once a night crying when I'm not there. Is this a phase? Please tell me it is! My bloodshot eyes and undereye circles are not liking this! :)

Evie3

Asked by Evie3 at 11:39 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It probably IS just a phase -- But is it that she isn't tired? My 4-year-old DD has trouble going to sleep if she takes a nap during the day (when she goes to pre-school) -- otherwise, I keep her very active during the day and always make sure she doesn't get too "wound-up" before betime. Try giving her a warm bath before bed? Reading a story? Also, our Dr. told me in the beginning to not lay down with her to get her to go to sleep -- "She will become dependent on that on won't learn to do it by herself," he said.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:01 PM on May. 23, 2011

• About one month ago I was going through the exact same thing. I had to work with my four year old because she was coming in my room atleast 5x or more waking me up. I would be so cranky the next day because I wasn't getting any rest. It got to the point where I was hypervigilant at night anticipating my daughter would wake me up. I tried giving her a special blanket and explained to her that when I had a bad dream and when my mom had bad dreams we slept with this blanket and it made us feel really safe. I gave her a small cup (2-4 ounces) of warm milk, and then I gave her a night light to use. She has only had one bad night since I've given her the blanket and night light. So as long as she feels safe and I'm able to get some rest, then I will continue to use the blanket and night light. She has to learn to self soothe. Try different things.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 2:48 PM on May. 23, 2011