Anybody vehicle smart? lol im not and have no idea what could be wrong with my truck.

For about 2 weeks now my battery has been taking a complete crap! We have a 2005 ford expedition. We just replaced the battery a year ago. We can jump the battery and it will work fine. Drive it around to charge the battery, but shortly after shutting the truck off the battery dies once again. I know, I know get it into the shop to get it looked at, but I have very little money until the 1st. Anyone know what could be wrong? We are thinking maybe it is the alternator or a short in a fuse somewhere, but are unsure.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 11:48 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Travel

• My husband just said the alternator is not charging.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 23, 2011

• So, it is going to need to be replaced, right? How much am I looking at price wise?
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on May. 23, 2011

• also could be a bad battery terminal. If you have an Autozone nearby, they can test your battery and alternator to see if it's either of those.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:54 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Alternator.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:55 AM on May. 23, 2011

• What do the battery cables look like? Are the corroded and covered with crusty stuff where they connect to the battery?

If so, mix up some baking soda and water, remove the cables from the battery and soak the end of the cable in the water and scrub off all the junk. A wire brush is helpful. you might need to wipe the battery terminals too. Then reconnect everything and start up the car.

We had the same issue as you and were worried, but that is all it was. Super easy and cheap. Now if it has actually corroded the cable, past the the terminal connector, then you can do the same thing and get some di-electric grease at the automotive store, it is less than five bucks, and put it on the cable after you clean it. It should get you through until you can replace the cable.

I always keep some baking soda in my car now... just in case.

Good luck.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:55 AM on May. 23, 2011

• That's what my father in law said. That is also where we bought our battery. One is about 7 miles away, but the trick is to jump the battery once again to get there, lol. My FIL works during the day so it is a matter of when he gets off work to do it for me.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on May. 23, 2011

• the autozone website shows your make and model alternator at about 200 bucks.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:57 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Thank you sleepingbeauty! We will try that :) yes I have noticed that they are a bit corroded.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Thank you mamas! This always happens right after my hubby leaves, our vehicles always take a crap, lol. He is vehicle smart, but since he isn't here I am always stuck trying to get it fixed. Maybe I should just get a horse and buggy :)
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sorry I had to step away from computer after answering. Looks like everyone answered. Good luck!!
    Anonymous