Moving from a slumlord apartment, what should I do before I move to be sure I get my security back?????

Just want to be sure I get my security back no I didn't ruin the place, I moved in there a year ago and new I made a big mistake within a month...

Do I do a walk through with the landlord?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:48 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• wow really he let someone use your room? I would be making calls to your local congressmen and see what you can do about a slumlord, make sure you take lots of pics, also if the things that werent fixed when you moved in were never done, doccument that. if you have to small claims court might do you good. good luck
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 12:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Slum Lord. I'd kiss that deposit goodbye. He will find reasons to not give it back to you. Unless you have pictures of the place the day you moved in and pictures of the place the day you moved out..it won't be worth the hassle in court. Sometimes its easier to just let things go. I'm hoping he gives it back to you with no problems, good luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:55 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would make sure you take pictures of all of the rooms as you are moving out. Also take a walk through with the landlord. I would also make sure all appliances are spic and span as well as the bathroom, kitchen, living room, bedrooms, closets and any storage areas. You could also rent a shampooer and wash up the carpets if you have any of those. As long as nothing is broken and everything is cleaned up you should get your damage deposit back.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 2:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Not sure, but good luck to you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:32 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Not sure you can do anything. I would clean as best you can, including the carpets and take photos before you leave. Give a copy of them to the landlord with a letter saying it was left in decent condition.

Answer by gemgem at 11:50 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Hun, I have emails of things that needed to be fixed, pictures of everything, one time he had the tenant upstairs use my bathroom for the night because he didn't fix a pipe, he is a slum lord and I will fight it all the way. Wish me luck...
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on May. 23, 2011

• if u can vidio tape everything. and make arrangments to do a walk threw with landlord and walk and discuss thisngs with them with the camra if u can. that way if they refuse u u can bring that to court. if not then do the walk threw and take pictures if u can and talk about everything. dont sign anything unless u read it. if u agree. if not discuss it. document everything. things he fixed or didnt. u can even make him sign something like sink wasent fixed or sink was broken before tenant moved in..also if more comfortable ask a friend to be there for u as well as a witness. best of luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Honestly, if he is as bad as you say he is - just walk away and don't look back.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• He probably will not pay you back the security deposit
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 4:27 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yeah I'd do a walk through
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:08 AM on May. 26, 2011