What do you think?

So.. Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security need to be fixed. True, but if the polls are factual most are under the impression the Government can tweak a number here or there, maybe change a minor aspect of these programs or just go after the fraud in them and they will be able to go on as if nothing ever happened. Do people really think this will cure all that ails these programs or do they just not care if these are around for the next generation?
The left uses granny scare tactics and the right proposes big changes that many feel are needed.
Which side are you on? Are these programs really at risk of "going away" in totality?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:55 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they will stay around with many serious changes in them making them harder to receive with fewer benefits. I know there is nothing I can do or say that will have any impact in the decisions that will ultimately be made with them.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:58 AM on May. 23, 2011

• many issues have to be addressed in entitlement futures
    IMO
    Means testing should be implemented immediately
    And increase age requirements and make eligibiltiy harder
    And I still favor the fee for service reimbursement plans, not sure how vouchers will work.
    Fraud Waste and Abuse, I think should be managed by a private entity as the Government only encourages it and should only be paid on a commission type basis. The company would only get paid on what it saves or prevents or recoups.
    I do think, the programs are in danger of going belly up. Ponzi schemes all end the same way.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:02 PM on May. 23, 2011

• they just not care if these are around for the next generation?
    -----
    IMO
    in order for the programs to continue at the present rate, there will have to be at least one 25 year generation to pay into the system and not receive benefits to make up for the first recipients in the US who paid nothing.
    the question is, Who gets to be that generation?
    I don't see any volunteers ANYWHERE.
    Unless you consider all the obese young people today, who are falling in line with the statistics that show they will not live as long as their parents. The trick is-to get them to die before 65 and without longterm disabling health problems. GL with that, huh? All the while working and paying into the system.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I support free market options for medicare and medicaid. I support the promotion of charitable health involvement and think it could even reduce the burden of taxpayers/government on medicaid. In the 1960's healthcare was affordable. Today, healthcare costs are rising? Why? HMO's and governmental involvement adding regulations doctors (cost), hospitals (cost), and health insurance companies (cost)....
    I support encouraging people to SAVE for their future with Health Savings Accounts. There are also theories out there that support the idea of making medical costs completely tax deductible. I think there should be a serious look at these options.
    I believe the FDA is more of a marketing scam to raise costs. I read somewhere (would need to find it) that the FDA has driven costs UP over the years. The FDA+Medicare+Medicaid+ Government regulations= HURTING AMERICANS in the long run.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• On average 13% of Americans paychecks go towards a failing scam of a system called Social Security. If the average American entering the workforce with an income of $25,000-30,000 would invest that money on their OWN, most likely (even in the safest of long term investment plans) they would retire at the age of 67, as a millionaire. The problem? Too many Americans lack the commitment and responsibility to save on their own so they grown to become dependent on the government to nanny their future. I support the option for Americans to have a choice to have their OWN personal retirement accounts. Americans should control their money. Not the government.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Fraud and waste are currently beginnining to be controlled with the implementation of EMR.There are incentives through2016 for using electronic systems that cut out a lot of human error and fraud. Doctors are constantly tryingto "break" or work around the billing section and errors are immediately flashed not allowing the doctor to overcharge.These stimulus incentives were started in 2009 meaning our federal government began after the "right" left office and the "left" took office. Obviosly smarter than drawing swords and wildly slashing.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:47 PM on May. 23, 2011

• http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/15/AR2009111502488.html

I don't think the Dept of Justice or the Dept of HHS is doing any better, despite paying all those new salaries in Obama's new programs to fight waste and abuse.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Fraud and waste are currently beginnining to be controlled with the implementation of EMR

Really?

"Acceleration in the use of electronic medical records may lead to an increase in personal health information theft.......A key finding from the report is that fraud resulting from exposure of health data has risen from 3% in 2008 to 7% in 2009, a 112% increase."

Decisions, Decisions.. Fraud of taxpayer money... Fraud of private citizens compliments of a government mandated program.....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• http://healthcarefinancenews.com/news/gao-reports-48b-medicare-fraud-2010

oh look, Obama's special departments to stop waste and fraud lost an additional $1 Billion in waste the following year. Not doing too good liberals. It's getting worse as the year goes by. lol

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:59 PM on May. 23, 2011