Homeschooling a child with Aspergers?

We don't have an official diagnosis yet but our daughter's therapist is fairly certain that she is on the low end of the Aspergers spectrum.  She's been having a lot of issues at school with her social behavior while at home she is improving greatly.  She's highly intelligent but her social issues are causing daily trips to the office and, despite being only in K she has had to serve a couple in school suspensions.

We're strongly considering homeschooling her next year to keep her academics on track and to have less stress on all of us.  I'm wondering if anyone else does this already.  What are your suggestions or advice?  How do you make sure to get some social interaction in? 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on May. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sure! And many do! Also try some OT as well. I have always known home schooling an option if my son's needs can't be met at his school. We pay well over a thousand a month for a private school that works with us on coping and managing his disorder. If we could not continue home schooling would be a good option for a while until we can make progress to adapt back into the public school environment. The break can be theraputic.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:03 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We're on a budget so private school isn't an option for us. Thank you for the support though :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Private not an option for many. And even being on the spectrum - most schools can't meet their needs. But you can. Creatively and with lots of love. It's patch work but finding the right programs help. Our area has a ton of parents whohome school for various reasons. Not many public schools could do sensory breaks my son needs or take the time to put away work frustrating him now to work on later. Or to understand he does not change subjects to annoy you but he has passions which he will focus on so please try to humor him. Sometimes only a mom can do this (or dad). And in the mean time social skillscan be learned in controlled brief group outings with other home schooled kids. Even limited budgets can do big things. What does it take to have an awesome experience? As long as you are comfortable teaching...go for it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I concentrated in elementary education in college and have worked in daycares and preschools so I am comfortable teaching.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I wish I was. I have no idea how to actually teach. I can buy all the books but how to get him to learn is another skill I don't have.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:57 PM on May. 23, 2011