Reading to babies?

How often do you/did you read to your child who is under 18 months old? When did you start reading to your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we started at about 5-6months..as soon as he was sitting up comfortably, and less self-supportive. we read to him in 'the chair' every day. ('the chair' is a small recliner i used for rocking/nursing, and now sits in his playroom, for his own use to read, etc.just turned 6yo.) he loves to read, and is the best reader in the kindergarten class, so says his teacher. he scored highest on their state-testing, too...can't say its because we read to him as a baby, but it certainly didn't hurt any!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:22 PM on May. 23, 2011

• *un-self-supportive*..you kwim.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• While she was in the womb. I read to her at least once a day every day.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think we'll start reading to ours as soon as he/she gets here. We were both read to as children, though I'm not sure how early either set of parents started. I'll probably start our reading the Bible, but when he/she gets a little more cognitive I'll switch to more age-appropriate things.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 12:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I started reading to my son when he was about 3 months, he wasn't very interested then but now he loves it (he's 2 now). It doesn't really matter if they are paying attention or not when they are really young, most babies just like you being around talking to them and it doesn't matter what you are reading.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 12:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We began reading to both kids the day they were born. Infants may not focus on actual words or book BUT, the cadence of a story, the sound of your voice and the words will help foster language development. Reading anything: the novel you're hoping to finish for yourself, the newspaper or the latest issue of People. As my kids grew we modified what and how long we read. As soon as they began grabbing and reaching we moved to board books. When they were more interested in motion than sitting, we stuck with short bursts of reading and used books that had some type of interaction (Tails, for example, which is touchy feely or pop-up books.) We read daily to them or with them until they decided they were done with it and just wanted to read on their own. I had two early talkers with larger than average vocabularies who also read early. They are bright kid but the skills were assisted by being read to early and often.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I read to mine since birth. We always read right before nap and right before bed, but usually several other times throughout the day. My 2 yo will sit and "read" by himself for a long time, and he's actually starting to recognize common words. My 10 month old is just now starting to really get interested in books and turning the pages.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i read to my son (10 weeks) now. even in the middle of target, i'll find a short book and read it to him while he's in his carseat :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 4:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i have read a book to my daughter every night since she came home from the hospital and she is going to be 7 months old on the 26th
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 6:16 PM on May. 23, 2011