Why is it some men either want custody of the kids or want to sign over their rights?

Me and the father of my sons were married and he wanted to have them, i was good with my 1 child i had already. even when we were married he threatened to give up his rights to them. he treated my older child like crap so he had to go!! he also didn't treat me well but I won't let anyone mess with my kids so that's what did it.

mrsary

Asked by mrsary at 12:20 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I say let him give up his rights if he was mean to the kids. If he doesn't want to be their father in practice or on paper then there isn't much you can do about it, the kids still have you.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 12:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• IDK...everyone's situation is different. All I know is, I've been better off not knowing my biological and my DD's as well of which they signed off any rights. For the sake of devil's advocate here, my DH is a wonderful person and has been put in that hot seat where the BM of his DS has been a manipulative jerk and makes it very tough to intervene with any decisions made about him. Bottom line, she has thought and probably still does think that she owns the child who is over 18. He does his best with what he has to work with but most people here on CM have said to me that there's only so much you can take and hopefully he (DSS) wakes up one day to his BM's ways.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 12:29 PM on May. 23, 2011

• They dont just let you give up your rights. It doesnt work that way. He can file and try but a judge is going to ask your opinion and you can say no. I would say no and make him pay child support. He doesnt have to visit or be part of the childrens lives, but he darn would be financially on the hook.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• so he wants custody and bc hey did not grant him custody he is going to sign over his rights. oh yeah no...that is not how it works. make him pay child support. stand your ground and if he mistreated the children i would put that in writing and talk to your lawyer to even get supervised visitation.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• my kids father didnt want custody. he didnt want to sign over his rights either.. He SAID he wanted visitation and would always tell me he was going to file for it.. DID HE?? NOOOOO lol... i dont get it.. blows my mind. I rather him sign over his rights!! he pretty much doesnt care to help out with the kids in anyway, he doesnt talk to them doesnt see them.. i tried to let him in their life, i called him and asked for clothes for the kids he sent just a few things down that didnt even fit so that pretty much ended anything he did have with the kids.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:43 PM on May. 23, 2011

• in some cases it is easier to terminate the rights rather than a constant court battle for custody..or a constant battle back and forth for visitation..or for childsupport..some ex's just never know when to grow up and move on..it can also make it easier for the children to not be torn back and forth..my uncle terminated his rights to his girls but if you knew his ex wife you would def undertand...
    Anonymous

• What would be another option, or did I misread your question?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• u didn't misread it. i don't know many men like that. either all or nothing. i could never sign over my rights to my kids just cause i cant get custody. smh.
    mrsary

Comment by mrsary (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• lol. gemgem that's just what i told him. i don't have anyone to adopt the boys so he's still responsible for child spt. of course he doesn't pay voluntarily. the state takes it out his check and he flipped out!!
    mrsary

Comment by mrsary (original poster) at 12:39 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i mean mother try to do the samehing so u have to ask your self why would i do it
    kiara_gray

Answer by kiara_gray at 12:49 PM on May. 23, 2011