How to make toddler meals for a child who is allergy to peanuts, milk and soy?

He was JUST diagnosed.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 12:29 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ugh, what a challenge Mama! I don't have much advice to offer. Sorry. You are probably gonna have to make most everything from scratch.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:34 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Take a deep breath. An allergy diagnosis can be overwhelming - but it's completely and totally manageable once you get your arms around it. First, learn to read labels. Soy is hard - it's in lots of stuff. Milk derivatives pop up often too. Peanuts, honestly, are fairly easy to avoid for meals. My DD is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and seafood, by the way.

You're dealing with three of the top 9 allergens. The good news is food has to be labeled clearly for these allergens. You'll find soy, milk and peanuts clearly called out IF they are an ingredient in a packaged food item. They may be in a separate call out after a title like "Allergy Information:" or "This product contains:" or it may simply be labeled in bold within the ingredient listings. What does your son eat now? start there. Read those labels and see what is safe and what is maybe causing him issues. Then expand your search.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sorry, to take up another box - there's a lot of info to share and little space. ;) Find an allergy support group too. There are some good ones online and I'd be happy to share links if you want. Just send me a private message and I'll send you what I use. I remember being in those first day so of diagnosis. It's hard and its' scary and you feel so overwhelmed. I'd be happy to talk more if you want.

You don't have to go totally from scratch but there will be things you are going to have to do on your own vs the easy way out. Cupcakes - for example - are going to be homemade not bakery made. Big picture? That isn't unmanageable. I wish I could give you specific items to look for but we're not avoiding soy or milk so it's not on my radar.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have a nephew that is allergic to soy, eggs, nuts and does a LOT better behaviorally on gluten-free. As he's gotten older he's started to outgrow some of the allergies. As a family we just kept calling my BIL to figure out if X-food/meal was nephew-friendly or not. If it wasn't we came up with alternates that he could eat.

Read labels carefully! Depending in the severity of the nut allergy you will have to look for: This product is made around nuts or variations of that statement.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:56 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would find some good books! As well as support groups, with others dealing with the same thing. Read labels and check out health food stores.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:14 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I am having the same issues, he's lactose intolerant and allergic to soy and has behavioral affects from certain ingredient.. Him not having cheese is the hardest to find Kid friendly meals with -you can put cheese on anything to make it stick and taste good and he can't have the regular soy or rice - or butter -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:18 PM on May. 23, 2011