Double standard - Spanking- Observation

So, I just noticed something very interesting.

Last week, there were two "spanking" questions. The posters wanted to know about what kinds of things would warrant a spanking.

Some people posted that they did not spank. The poster got upset, and was really bothered that the "question" was not appropraitely "answered". Poster requested that non-spankers refrain from posting.

Today, someone posts a question of why are you opposed to spanking? People began answering the question and the poster quickly closed it, choosing an answer that advocate spanking as the best answer.

But, that is not what the question was asking.

Why are the spankers able to answer it off-topic, while the anti-spankers are admonished for doing the same thing?

Why the hostility?

It is okay to take in current research and change your mind about discipline. There is no need for the stonewalling, anon.

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 12:35 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I noticed it too. I think alot of people were raised being spanked themselves so they think it is alright and want to be told it is ok by other moms. Like I said before 100 yrs ago it was also ok to beat your wife, but today we know that is not alright to do. Research shows today spanking should not be an option for discipline. Admitting that for some would be having to admit 1. their parents were wrong and 2. if they have spanked their kids they have been wrong all along. That is a tough pill for anyone to swallow I guess. All I know for me, I will be 40 on Thursday and lived all of my life without having my mother lay hands on me in an angry way. The only way she ever touched me was in a loving way to show me motherly love. I like that and do the same for my own kids.

Answer by gemgem at 12:39 PM on May. 23, 2011

• its their question...they can do what they want to and everyone has a different perspective on their question. and if it bothered her it did and if it didn;t bother the other posted it did not. to each their own i guess. i hope i answered your question. lol...lets all smile and get along. :)
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Well I was spanke as a child and guess what I learned from it??

NOTHING -- except to never do that to my children.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:43 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think you've come upon an example of how easy it is to think you're communicating effectively when in point of fact, you aren't. I'm sure all asking or answering parties thought they were either asking the question they meant to ask, or were answering the question they thought they were answering.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:41 PM on May. 23, 2011

• if they were both anonymous, you don't know they were the same poster..is that what you're accusing?
    who cares who spanks and who doesn't?..all i care about is how i discipline my child is up to ME. no one else's business.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:44 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i guess we know who doesn't spank!!!! lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I guess some spankers voted me down....wow that hurt my feelings so bad lol.

Answer by gemgem at 12:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I highly disagree with spanking being a form of abuse. If done properly there is nothing wrong with it. Hitting one's child in anger is not to be done, but discipline with love is essential. My parents spanking all three of us, and none of us are hateful, violent people. We were brought up with "spare the rod, spoil the child," and it is extremely applicable.

That said, spanking does not work on every child. Parents have to find the form of discipline that works for each child, and that may be different.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 1:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Meh it's one of those heated discussions no matter what side of the coin you are on. People are passionate about their beliefs and are always quick to judge others that don't follow them, tis nature of the beast,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I read your question, and began thinking while reading the previous answers. When I was a child I was beaten, not just spanked, when I misbehaved. I tried VERY hard not to do the same with my kids. BUT, there have been times where a swat on the butt got their attention when nothing else would. So, yes I spank. And like dullscissors said, how *I* discipline my kids is up to me. I have also realized that while my kids are still rather young, 4 and 7, I do not spank hardly at all now, as opposed to even a year ago.

I have also been in a position where I was a mandated reporter. Not once in my training for that did it say spanking, by itself, is a red flag for anything. I was trained to look for permanent marks and/or bruises that seemed suspicious.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:09 PM on May. 23, 2011