what is involved in homeschooling your child?

I am interested in HS my 8 yo. She is in 3rd grade now and all is great but there are many things I disagree with at her school. She has mentioned that she would love to stay home with me but it is not all about that. She is the top student in her class and is very sociable. I just feel she would be better with me at times where I can control the "cookie cutter" agenda from manipulating her life. Often times, she comes home and tells me how her school is preaching ways kids should behave and I have seen first hand how tightly scheduled the days are. The children are not even able to talk in the cafeteria at lunchtime!! Many of them are like little robots and that is just scary to me!!

So any advice from moms who do it or who have been there would be great. Like what kind of certification do I need, if any? How many hours a day should I dedicate to it? etc.

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 4:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It really depends by what state you are in as to what all is required in homeschooling. I homeschool in TX and don't need any certificate or anything but I'm not to sure about other states. How many hours a day depends on how quickly your children work. Some days it takes longer when my son doesn't have the motivation and some days he flys through hi work.
    Check out the website www.hslda.org they will be able to answer alot of your questions and have all your states laws.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 8:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blAR.htm

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Arkansas.pdf

Those are the homeschool laws for Arkansas.  No required days, no required subjects, no required certifications.  You have to give a written notice 14 days prior to withdrawling...to the superintendent or school board (I'm trying to remember what I read so read it yourself to be sure).

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Google homeschool law and your state. It's legal in all 50 states, but each state has different requirements.

Your choices on homeschooling are endless. Go to the library and check out some books about homeschooling. There is tons on curriculum, styles, and methods. Check out the Happy Homeschoolers group her on CM, there is lots of info there as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My neighbor does homeschooling. She told me once its easier to do homeschool through a church.
    lesliekaym27

Answer by lesliekaym27 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Home School Legal Defense (HSLDA) can tell you what is required in your state. Mostly you'll need a cover school (most of these are churches that cover homeschool families) and you'll want to choose a curriculum that the two of you can both be comfortable with. Since she's a bright child you may want to do something like classical education. Another option for a self-starting student is Charlotte Mason styled education. This can allow her to learn so far beyond what a textbook education ever will! And then there is textbook education (we use this as our basis in our home) for the basics and some blend of going beyond that for the rest. You're welcome to message me if you want to. This is our 5th yr and I'm schooling 4 ages 4-9 and I'm a local support group leader as well.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• be aware that HSLDA has a conservative christian agenda. if that's your thing, that's fine, but that information is not always presented when their info is given out .
    If you're interested I have a group on CM for secular homeschoolers with info on various HS approaches and over 100 links to online HS resources. contact me if you'd like to join.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I homeschool in Fl. We have something you might want to check into in your state. Here it's called Florida Virtual School Online. It's through the state and they provide you with a curriculum. Even though it's done at home and is considered homeschooling, the children are allowed to take art lessons, play on school teams and be engaged in other school activities like band while they get their education at home. Right now (here in Fl.) it's only for grades 6-12, but next year they are changing it to k-12 and my son will be using this program. Good luck! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2008