Why is this?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A BITCHY POST. I WANT YOUR REASONINGS PLEASE.
Why do people get offended when someone says "black" when referring to an african american person? They ARE black, no? Should I be offended when someone calls me white and demand to be called caucasian? I don't see the difference. But then again I don't say "Oh the black guy." and mean it in a rude way. Is it the way it's said that is offensive? Please tell me!!!

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 5:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I tell you what.. it is nearly impossible to be politically correct, because some people (there are a few in every group) who are just bound and determined to be miserable. And they make everyone else's life difficult through their constant whining and complaining. If they ask for something and it is given to them, they want something else...and on and on. There is no way to make those kind of people happy... so I treat them like the children they are determined to be... I ignore them.
    I know that only half way answers your question...but PC was brought up so I wanted to comment. Me, personally...I refer to people with the same words they refer to themselves with.
    Anonymous

• there have been so many different terms used through the years and it is confusing to some people. i have two mixed children and sometimes i'm not sure of the politically correct term either,. i hope noone does get offended and you get an answer. have a good one
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I can say that my fiance is black and he has NO disagreements with the term. I don't think he even knows why that is offensive. But he's more dark brown...lol
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 7:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Lol I've used terms like "The pink one." my friend has really pink skin. hee hee
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't know. I say " oh, you know the black lady"....If I was referring to someone I don't know. My son calls them brown. He will tell me about his friend at school and then say...well, hes brown. I am like...uh okay. He also says that for hispanic friends as well. I guess because we are really really white people, so theres a big difference. I do not place much thought on being politically correct. When I say something, a person knows that I am not deliberately being offensive. I don't care for hyphenated americanism, but I do say black to differentiate if we don't know the person. Its whats in my heart that God sees and thats all I am concerned about. Its not intended to offend. Don't give it too much thought. Youll be playing into the hands of the PC ers.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have thought about this. On the news, they say Black sometimes and African American sometimes. Cnn, Fox, NPR, IRN... Even, James T Harris, a black (or African American) Conservative Talk Show Host, whom I respect very much for his conservative values, and confidence to stand up for what is right; uses both black and african american without hesitation.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't think everyone gets offended by it. One of my besties is black and would probably look at me sideways if I said AA instead of black...the same as I would if she all the sudden started calling me Caucasian instead of white.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• its hard to approach if you ask me i think that some people just say it to be mean and some just because....like some black people are stereotyped ...ohhlook at that group of black guys I bet they are up to no good...etc etc or.... all these blacks here ...stuff like that my SO is black and I am white and he has no problem being called a black man but after you learn his name thats what he wants to be called by not still  ...the black guy....hope this makes sense...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• im black and would prefer to be called black i dont see the diffrence there the same thing to me
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I like being called black.....well I am. I dont care for the hyphenated names either. I am an American!!! Period.
    Lovebama

Answer by Lovebama at 11:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2008