Going Low Carb........

We are tryin to drastically reduce our carb intake to make our diet a little healthier. How can I leave starches (bread, rice, potatoes) out of all of our meals and still have them feel complete and satisfying. We do love all kinds of veggies, so that's not a problem, it just doesn't seem like a well rounded meal without the starch. Is it just an adjustment issue? Any meal ideas or suggestions?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 12:50 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You don't have to leave them out of every meal. Here's what works for me (been lo-carbing for over 12 years, lost 75 pounds and have kept it off):

Allow carbs at one meal. Make it the same meal each day (if you choose dinner, always have your carbs at dinner). Limit your carbs to a reasonable serving, and always have some fat and/or protein with it. Make sure you complete your meal (includes beverages) within one hour; otherwise, your insulin will surge, driving your levels up, increasing your huner and cravings for more carbs, and making your body resistant to weight loss.
    Anonymous

• Portions.............that's how I did it........I need to do it again, but that my friends is ANOTHER story...LOL
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• don't cut out carbs completely. that's not good for your digestive system. leave out the empty carbs like white bread and sweets. potatos are fine to eat, so is rice. just keep it under 60 grams of carbs a day.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• you dont need to cut out all carbs. you need to cut out bad carbs like white bread, chips, white pasta & things like that. whole grains are important and good for you. whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice. start adding those things to your diet! & portion control. if you over eat them, its bad also. i would eat whole grains for breakfast & lunch ... for dinner try having less carbs most days. like salmon ceaser salads, chicken broccoli and other veggies stir fry.. etc
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:53 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, whole grain or whole wheat bread (become a label reader, if "100% ____" isn't the first ingredient it's not ideal!). Make those switches, cut back, but don't cut out.
    Anonymous

• There are good carbs and bad carbs. In fact, too much protein can strain your kidneys and other organs.

Build meals around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits. Drink lots of water

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 PM on May. 23, 2011