"extended" breastfeeding

So I have a very happy, indepenent 12 month old toddler who still LOVES nursing. He's nursing first thing in the morning and before both his naps (not to fall asleep). Although we are continuing, I've received some odd comments from family and some friends. I didn't expect to be going this long, but judging from my son, I don't see him giving up any time soon. What do I say that would polite to some family and friends who find it odd?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 12:57 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its my child and his health and none of your business, stay out of it :0). That's what I would say lol.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i nursed for 18 mos, but nobody really said anything about it.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• That's actually normal. It's recommended they be weened by 18 months. My son gave up the bottle on his own at 12 months except at bedtime which we took away at 18 months. I would either tell them that or that unless the Ped tells you otherwise you aren't going to worry about it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• 12 months doesn't seem odd to me, and I didn't BF. Do what feels comfortable to you and your DS and tell everybody else that it's none of their business.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• that the world health organization recommends nursing up to at least 2 years... would that help?

good for you!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I don't think it is odd at all. Now if your little one was 5 and asking for the boob then I would be thinking "it really is time to get him off the boob!" Lol. Just tell them if they say anything that it is your choice and he is happy and healthy and that is all that matters. :) no need to explain yourself to them. It is your child and if you are ok with it than their opinion doesn't really matter.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:17 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Just ignore them
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:03 PM on May. 25, 2011