Can a Marriage Survive Infidelity?

Could yours?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:04 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Mine would not. Without trust the relationship cannot survive. I would never trust him again EVER.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm honestly not sure...and unless someone has been through it, I'm not sure anyone could know for sure. I say no, it can't...but then I think about what the circumstances could be and how much I love my DH and our little family...such a hard question to answer I think.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 1:06 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I asked my SO about this and he said if I ever cheated on him, he didn't think that would make him leave me. I don't know why he thinks this way and it got me paranoid that he was cheating on me! I know he isn't but it still got me thinking. Of course, if it ever happened, I think he would change his mind and I told him that if he ever cheated on my, I would leave him, but he contends that me cheating on him would not make him leave me. I'm still pondering his reason for saying that.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm sure it can. However i am not sure mine could. I know if he cheated on me i would probably lose my mind and go to jail lol. but my x fiance cheated on me all the time but i loved him so much i would let him do anything. till he got sick of me and got rid of me :( since hen i have alot more respect for myself and have a 0 tolerance rate for cheating.
    ninabalerina

Answer by ninabalerina at 1:08 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Some can, ours could not. Cheating is a deal breaker for both of us.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• That's a tough question. We dealt with it last spring in one form. I learned of my DH's porn addiction. I had NO idea before he confessed it to me. Jesus said if a man lusts for a woman he has committed adultery with her in his heart. I was crushed, and even "ran away" to my parents' for a week. We've been working past it, but whenever DH shoots me down, I wonder if he has relapsed. We ended up in marriage counseling, and it was wonderful.

That said, pictures and the real deal are very different. I don't know if I could get over him cheating. I love him, but there is no excuse for it. If he'd rather have another woman I would prefer him just to leave all together. I'll pick up the pieces by myself.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 1:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i think it depends on how you two handle it and if you forgive eachother and feel that you can move on from such a heartbreak.. as for me no, that is a bond that would be broken forever.. i could never forgive my husband if he were to cheat on me and i know it would be the same for him... my thing is that i could forgive you at one point but i will never forget and with that there is no trust and if there is no trust in a relationship then it will never work any ways.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My marriage survived. We still have a long ways to go, but we are trying. I really don't think anyone can give you a honest opinion unless they have been in the situation. I have learned to never say never. You never know what you will do until its staring you smack dab in the face. I said that it was a done deal if I found out that he cheated on me. Now look at us. If both are willing to try and put forth the effort than it can survive. The positive outlook of my situation is that it made us stronger. We communicate more and we don't hold anything in.

Anonymous

• I think it really depends.. My husband and I have been married for 7 years and a few years ago, we went through this. We did separate for a while, but we are doing much better now than we were before.. So, I am here to tell you it IS possible! :)
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 1:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Its possible for some couples to work through it and not for other couples.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:25 PM on May. 23, 2011