What does cps look for??

to make a long story short, my dh and 2 of his friends got jumped by a neighbor's nephew after the lady said false acusations about them and out of spite, she called cps on all of us with kids. what will they need to look at? i am more than willing to cooperate with them.

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 1:07 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• it depends on what her accusations were..the main things they usually check for are cleanliness, proper clothes, food, a decent place to sleep, no bruises or marks...they will normally contact you and tell you what they are investigating for
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:08 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If they even do anything at all, they will need to talk with the kids a little and you &DH, then probably do a home visit to check the living situation, making sure everyone has their own beds to sleep in, running water, power, food in the frig/pantry. I hate stupid people, so sorry you are going through this.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 1:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• They mostly look for mal nutrition in your children, if you children look unhealthy or have marks and bruises. they will look at your house to see if its a healthy living enviroment. Make sure all alcohol is kept up in cabnets, make sure if some one smokes in the house to get rid of all the ash trays. They might check your fridge to see if you have food. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Good luck im so sorry your having to go through this. Also they may check your childrens rooms to see if there are toys and what not.
    ninabalerina

Answer by ninabalerina at 1:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If it sounds even remotly minor, they wont even bother, they have to get the serious calls first. I would say it couldnt hurt to clean your house and all that.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• from what i can see on Cafemom, they say clean rooms but with toys in it. the boys are seperate from the girls and the same sex can bunk but own their own beds.

If there's any bruises on them, they will ask and i think they will talk to them also about it.

no obstruction blocking the fridge or blocking in the way of feeding a child.

make sure your children and yourself is clean
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• it depends what the lady that called told them. if its neglect ro something like that they look at their wieght n check them for bruises n if they've been bathed n stuff like that. most of the time they make sure the house isnt gross like trash everywhere or if theres mold in the house that could make the kids sick. n its always going to be on record that CPS investigated you.
    tazzii310

Answer by tazzii310 at 1:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It depends on what accusations she made against you. i.e if she claimed you beat/abuse your kids than they will look for bruises. But like others have said as long as everyone has their own beds, proper clothes, no bruises, utilites on, food in the house. Most likely if they come at all , they will want to talk to you , dh, the kids, and anyone living in your household. Sorry for you and your kids what a mess this coo coo has caused your family. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 1:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• you dont have to let them talk to your kids or come into your house unless they bring the cops with them. They do not have any rights without a court order. last time my disabled stepson's idiot teacher called on us, the case worker came at dinner time. I stepped out on my front porch, closed the door behind me and spoke with her there. I did let my stepson come out on the porch to talk with her while I was present. But I didnt even have to do that...did your dh file charges against the nephew? Because that will help out a lot by proving she was being spiteful
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• no charges were filed, police came out 45 mins to an hr after i called and the other guys already had taken off. the police didnt even make a report about it. my ds is 3 so he probably wont make much sence when asked anything. i am not to worried about it because everyone in the apartments that we live at see that we take care of ds and our place sometimes looks like a tornado hit it but we clean it as much as possible.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on May. 23, 2011