What do you think of mandatory breakfasts for students in Public Schools?

Chicago Public Schools recently started this..

ChicagoNannies

Asked by ChicagoNannies at 1:22 PM on May. 23, 2011 in

• They've always had breakfast at all the schools I've gone to so I guess I don't think anything of it lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• as long as it's balanced. too many kids don't have a balanced breakfast and it reflects on their marks
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• forkids who don't eat breakfast at home, that would be great! Breakfast is a very important meal! I just hope it is nutritious.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Our school has it and I love it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Good idea. I don't care what the income is . . . sometimes there is a rush in the morning, or the kid just isn't ready to eat yet. But, you can't learn on an empty stomach.

It only costs between 1 and 2 dollars per meal.

I say. let's cut massage benefits from medicaid/medi-cal and feed the kids instead.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:25 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i think it's great! and why wouldn't it be healthy?
    ABBY90

Answer by ABBY90 at 1:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think depending on the school district it should be mandatory to serve, but not mandatory to eat. The school(s) I went to 1-6 grade were in very low income neighborhoods where kid's sometimes COULDN'T eat at home so yes I think breakfast should be served at school. When I moved to an upper class area for middle/high school none of the students had that problem and I don't remember them serving breakfast.
    Anonymous

• I would rather feed my little ones at home, the same for lunch. I want to know what they are eating and I can make it cheaper than what it costs.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Our school has it. I don't think it's as well balanced as the breakfast I provide for them is. BUT they don't like to get up that early so they continue to eat at home. Once in a while I wish they would eat at school...but I don't force them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:27 PM on May. 23, 2011

• you'd be surprised how many children come to school without eating breakfast, for whatever reason..the teachers know who doesn't get breakfast; they can tell..i'd think ANY food the school provided for a hungry child who normally gets sent to school without, would be welcomed.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:30 PM on May. 23, 2011