Stay at home wife

my fiance says that i dont need to have a job and he would love to support me himself. what are your opinions on it?

Keriii24

Asked by Keriii24 at 1:33 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't do it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:35 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i was a stay at home wife that turned into a stay at home mom lol..there is nothing wrong with it I like and love my life but be prepared when you first quit everything and go home that you will get sssoooo bored! But after awhile it will pass..good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:35 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If YOU want to stay home... and if you have the capability to care for yourself should something happen to him (death, unemployment, disability all can destroy his ability to provide)... then stay home.

If staying home isn't something that appeals to you, then don't. And if you aren't capable of supporting yourself... become capable, because things happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It all depends on what you want and what kind of man he is. If he is a great man and you are fine with running the house and see it as fulfilling than go for it. If he is controlling or you see running your house as something that is beneath you or not really contributing than do not become a stay at home wife. If done right though staying at home is a job. All the cleaning, the shopping for the house, volunteering, and putting on house parties is a lot of work.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:39 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I can only share my opinion in regards to myself.

At this point and time in my life, I am what many consider to be a "house wife". I have no children at home, my husband and I are empty nesters. I became a SAHM when my only child was 10 (*he is now 20). I would have never became a SAHM if I did not have the ability to fully support myself and my child in the worse case scenarios, if I did not have my own savings/education/career experience..etc.. If I did not have these things./the ability to achieve these things I would not have agreed to be a SAHM (much less a "housewife" all these years later..lol). I am a firm believer in being prepared "just in case". One never knows what the future holds. Even with my husband having the ability to fully support us when the decision was made, I still believed in making sure my bases were covered "just in case".
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:39 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think its up to you. I trust my husband so him asking me to stay home was not a big deal. I would never stay home though unless I had children to take care of.

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If I didn't have kids, I would work and put my paycheck towards retirement savings - maybe that would allow him to retire earlier and give the two of you more time together!

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think you need to do what you feel is best and right for you. Maybe you could try it for a while (like a month or so) and see how it works out--- during that time keep a running budget and see how the finances go and if he is able to pay all bills and support the household. You may also want to think about taking up an activity or hobby, that way you have something to do that is for you- and separate from being a home-maker. It would get you out of the house and be around others as well as give you something to look forward to. Then after the trial time sit hubby down and discuss how it went, did you like it, how was the finances.... If all is good then keep at it.
    If you do want to work, then maybe consider a part-time job, or a work from home or a direct sales job-- that way you can work your job around hubbys schedule to be w/him and also have $ coming in.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Remember this, if not for now at some point you will need to know - The person who pays the bills makes the rules! Be prepared for this, it will become an issue.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• What do YOU want to do? Coming from a sahm, if you don't have a baby to take care of, staying home all the time is INCREDIBLY boring!! I couldn't do it if I didn't have my son to keep me occupied.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:05 PM on May. 23, 2011