Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

This hasn't happened to me for several years now but it always freaked me out. I would wake up, and I could see everything around me but I could not move my body. Not my arms or my legs. I couldn't lift my head. I would try to open my eyes all the way, but they would feel extremely heavy and they would roll. I would hear noises and what sounded like voices. One time this happened after we took my mom to the airport when she was traveling for work. I got home and fell asleep on the couch when it happened and I could have sworn my mom was talking to me. Other times, it would just be a bunch of different voices and noises. I would tell myself over and over, you're awake, move your arms, move something! But I couldn't move. I would go back to sleep and wake up normal after that. Anyone else experience something like this?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 1:47 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Health

• nope, sounds scary.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• yes and it scared the crap outta me!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:48 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No, but it actually sounds like you are dreaming. A very vivid dream at that. Have you ever talked to a doctor about it?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:49 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, and it is scary!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, a few times in my life, and it has left me terrified and having my heart racing every time!..
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 2:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes only I was dreaming and having a bad dream but could not wake up and I remember not being able to move my body but I would wake up with bruises under my upper arms. Then one night I actually woke up and found myself pinching my arm to wake me up from those nightmares. Freaked me out. Haven't had those dreams or that feeling in years!
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 1:28 AM on May. 24, 2011