Do you buy condoms for your teenagers?

If you know your teens are sexually active do you provide condoms for them? My friend thinks I'm a terrible Mom for buying my 15 yr old DD her condoms. I think I'm just keeping her and her bf safe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Speaking from experience I think you are a smart mom. It's alot better better than having to buy diapers if she gets pregnant.
    barbar73069

Answer by barbar73069 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• For a daughter I think I would see about the pill or shot in order for it to be more effictive. Being that underage sex is illeagal I wouldn't want to encurage it by just handing them over. perhaps making them fiscally responsible would be a good idea. Kids cost alot more than condoms.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You could talk to your DD until you're blue in the face & she wouldn't stop having sex if she didn't want to... I think you're doing the right thing. HOWEVER, I think you should also take her to the gynecologist & get her on the pill or shot. Also, make her get a job, even if it's just babysitting or mowing lawns. If she wants to act like an adult, then it's time to be one.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I agree with you all. I'm facing the same thing. It makes me sad to buy condoms for a 14 year old. I don't condone this behavior, but I am not ready to be a grandmother (guess who would have to raise the baby?) or to see my little girl get an STD or AIDS.

By the way, does anyone know if giving a 14 year old the patch or pills would hurt her at her age? I would still make her use condoms, these days you need two levels of protection.

I'm feeling sick. I need to get my head out of the sand.
    susiefromthe80s

Answer by susiefromthe80s at 5:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Condoms are cheaper than diapers...
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Just because you buy her condoms doesn't mean they'll use them. So no I wouldn't buy her condoms and if she is dating at 14 or 15 priorities need to be changed. Why is she allowed to be alone with boys at such an age? This is just my two cents and I'm not trying to start a fight or argument. It's just an opinion.
    Anonymous

• Better safe than sorry? I do think that 15 is a little young to be sexually active, but if she is going to do it, then it is better to be safe about it than not caring...
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 7:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i second everything crazysocks830 said!....and this is coming from a teen mom!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• First of all, your NOT a terrible mother in fact you are the complete opposite! Does your friend have children or even remember what it was like to be a teenager? I hate to say this, but teenagers are going to do whatever they want. As parents we try to teach & protect them when ever we can. But sometimes even our best efforts can result in the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. For example, telling your daughter to stop having sex might just cause her to continue doing it secretly. So disregard what your friend has said or even thinks & I applaud you for being active in your daughters life. You would be surprised with how many parents have NO idea whats going on in their kid(s) lives.
    ChEvYcHiCk4483

Answer by ChEvYcHiCk4483 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• yes, if thats what they want. better safe than sorry
    paragone

Answer by paragone at 8:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2008