Should i breastfeed?

i formula fed my first two kids and i am considering if i should with my third. i have been doing a lot of research on breastfeeding and it seems so overwhelming. feeding every 2 hours, leaking, pumping, not being sure how much the baby gets.... ugh!! 2 scoops and 4 oz of water every 4 hour seems so much easier! im involved in alot of the kids school functions and how am i supposed to be doing that if i have to breastfeed too? i know all about the health benefits of breastfeeding so please dont lecture.

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 1:54 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is really something that you are going to have to weigh the pros and cons for. If you know all the health benefits than I am not sure what kind of answers you are looking for. It is really up to you.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I breastfed my first 4 kids for a year each, my 5th I breastfed for 6 months and then went to formula due to supply issues. To me, breastfeeding is so much easier! You don't have to clean bottles, check the temp of the milk, etc. I never pumped with my first 3, and only did it on rare occasions with my 4th. I did use formula to supplement on those rare times I went out. I used breastpads and carried extras just in case, I only leaked through one time during all 5 of my kids. It's really not that big a deal, and it is better for your baby.

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on May. 23, 2011

• do what YOU want. your body your choice. your child will be just as healthy either way
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• its a lot easier then you think.. They have breast pads for leaking.. they have things to cover urself n baby when your out in public. they have the bras which are great all it is, is one snap and ur ready. When you breast feed its mostly on demand.. feed the baby when the baby wants. if the baby isnt getting enought the baby will let you know. pumping makes you feel better and u can put it in the freezer and when the baby wants just heat it up.. very easy.. email me if u got any questions
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 1:58 PM on May. 23, 2011

• To me it wasnt a question, I wanted what was best for my baby. I guess Im not understand how you think its much easier to formula feed either. The breast is always there not need to prepare of pack up when you go anywhere. Plus you wont have to worry about warming up the milk when your out in about and baby gets hungry. All in all its the best for baby which a very strong bond comes along with nursing and plus you dont have to spend money to buy breast milk, your milk will come in usually by the 2 to 3rd day :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I have to agree that breastfeeding is way easier! Why get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle, feed the baby, go wash the bottle when you can just pick the baby up and feed it? When my kids got old enough I just laid the baby next to me, gave them the boob and went back to sleep lol. WAY easier!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:03 PM on May. 23, 2011

• The first few weeks of breastfeeding is hard, but after that, it's so EASY! I breastfed and my sister formula fed. I was always amazed at how much extra work she had with the formula.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm currently breastfeeding my second child, my first self-weaned at 30 months. I also don't understand how anyone thinks formula feeding is easier than breastfeeding--baby starts moving their mouth like they're hungry, put baby to breast, baby eats. They only nurse so frequently for the first couple of months, then it stretches out to every 3-4 hours. No mixing, measuring, heating, bottles to clean, etc. I never leaked with my son, and have only leaked maybe three times with my daughter and as a PP said, they sell pads just in case. If you're worried about the baby getting enough, just count how many times you change their diaper during the day--6-8 wet diapers means they're getting enough. Yes, there can be a learning curve at the beginning but if you take a class, attend some LaLecheLeague meetings and talk to the lacation consultants at the hospital, you'll be in great shape :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:08 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Actually there is no need to measure what they eat. They just eat, when they stop they are done. You can do both though. That is what I did. At home I nursed. Out in public I brought bottles with me. I started bottles right away and my kids were able to go from bottle to breast, no problem. I think the key is to introduce the bottle right away. I was able to nurse 9 months this way.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on May. 23, 2011

• YES
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:23 PM on May. 23, 2011