Getting your tubes tied after giving birth. what was your experience?

I am considering getting my tubes tied after giving birth to my little miss in September. What was your experience with it? I know they can schedule to have it done next day after delivery, but I am a bit nervous. What should I expect? Also, if hubby is deployed and cannot sign the paperwork (he is fine with me getting my tubes tied, he plans on getting a vacectomy after he gets home) will they not allow me to do it? He keeps saying with POA I can still do it, but I don't know about that. I have an appt. Wednesday and will be able to ask then, just wanted personal experiences.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 2:13 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• We want to be double protected after hearing about a close friend getting pregnant again after her hubby had a vacectomy.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Seriously?
    I woke up with a stiff neck and couldn't move.
    When I asked what happened to my head and neck, I was informed " oh, that's from when they dropped you off the table."
    No lie.
    Hopefully, they won't drop you...anywhooooo....it was a little more painful after childbirth than the other 2 kids. My husband was never present when I had these discussions nor did he see any paperwork. In fact, the OB had no idea he even existed until I went into labor. My husband was never considered when the BTL was planned.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i had it done right after my second child... some times i would think it was a good idea, but then there were days where i wished i would have had another child. the surgery itself was not a big deal, they put you out so quick, then next thing you know is your waking up...
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 2:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I want to get my tubes tied after DH and I have our 3rd (hopefully soon!!!) but he doesnt want me to...he is getting a vasectomy though
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:19 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I had my Tubes Tied the day after my son was born- the pain just blended in with delivery- it wasn't a big deal- i was 21 & he was my second child- i knew i didn't want anymore- my EX Husband didn't have to sign for me to have it done- Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I had mine done after baby #5. If I'd have given birth during the day, they'd have done it the same day - but it was 10pm so I had to wait. I gave birth vaginally, so they cut a tiny slit (about 1 inch) in my belly button and did everything through there. The recovery wasn't a whole lot different than recovering from labor anyway - for a couple of days I had to hold my stomach when I walked (the first time I got out of bed it felt like my innards were going to fall out of the front of my stomach) but otherwise it was fine. I've been told though that doctors aren't doing it immediately after anymore (in some places), that they make you wait til you're 6 weeks post-partum - you may want to find out about that. And if your DH will be deployed, make sure there's someone to stay with you for a few days to help at home!
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness jewjewbee!! That is crazy. Let me guess, they said it to you like it was no big deal, right lol. Hopefully they don't drop me off the table, but you never know. I do have another question for you ladies. I plan on exclusivly breastfeeding, I absolutly do not want them to give her a bottle. Will my surgery mess with her feedings in anyway? I want to make sure that there is no reason for them to have to bottle feed her.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• No the surgery will not stop you from BFing, any pain meds you take will be safe for baby.. Just make sure they know you are BFing when they write you the prescription.. I had mine done a few hours after having our 3rd child, and BF.. I had an epidural so I was awake the whole time. It took less than an hour. Recovery was no different than the other two.. I was a little more sore getting up and down but thats it.. I took pain meds for 3 days tops. Hubby didn't have to sign anything. I just had to have the paperwork signs 30 days before going into labor. Just talk to your OB about it, he/she will answer all your questions.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:53 PM on May. 23, 2011

• had tubes tied after 2 child 6 weeks later good idea but be sure thats what u waunt
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:01 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Im planning on getting mine done after this baby gets here and the way my doctor has talked he will do the surgery right then since im having a c-section and will already be open...but im still nervous about it...I DONT want anymore after this since I am 41yrs old but just the thought of surgery makes me nervous.
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 4:30 PM on May. 23, 2011