Night time feeding......

My son is 8 months old and I thought well past the feeding at night stage. I put him to bed at 8 pm, sometimes he has a bottle then, sometimes food. Either way he is up at 11pm wanting another bottle. If I can get him back to sleep then he is up at 2 am and will not give it up till he gets one! I was up for and hour and a half of crying last night trying to out last him. Then he is up at 5:30 EVERY morning. I am exhausted. Shouldn't he be sleeping through the night by now? But my biggest concern is giving him too much food! At his 6 month appt he weighed 20 lbs ( his height is average) and the dr told me he was over weight and not to give him juice. He doesn't look overweight. and everyone I tell that too think the dr is crazy! ADVICE PLEASE!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't ignore his need for food. Formula has alot of extra calories. It's never too late to relactate and breastfeed, it is made perfect for your baby. http:// www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html has alot of great info and there are groups on here. I don't really have any other advice than that. My DD is almost 1 and still wakes up at night to nurse, only I neither one of us has to get up. I just roll over, she latches on, and I go back to sleep. BEst of luck mama
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• try putting him down for night an hour later, offer a full bottle every 2 hours during the day abd evry 4 hours offer a meal..8am breakfast and bottle 10 am bottle 12pm lunch bottle so so on.......thats what worked with my little guy, oh and at night i offered a water bottle, he eventually gave in and wont wake up at night unless he is sick or went poo....
    at his 6 month check up my ds weighed 21lbs ......it just means you are doing a good job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My son is 9 months and 24 pounds and his pedi has never said he was over wieght!! I am still getting up every 3 hours or so to nurse, but sometimes he just nurses for 2 minutes and sometimes, he does for 8-10. I personally think if a baby is hungary, feed them. Is he eating the whole bottle every time? If not, try a pacifier maybe. He might just be a growing little man who loves his food like mine ;)
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 9:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Water down the juice - better for them.

I would not try to outlast him - you will not win. So have bottles ready to go and I promise you - this time will be "the good old days" before you know it.

Our little man is three and how I remember those baby times.....
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My daughter is almost ten months old and when I've given her bottles in the middle of the night she doesn't usually finish them. I think she uses it to comfort herself back to sleep. She doesn't take a pacifier, she only plays with it and nighttime is not play time. I've tried giving her a bottle of water to suck on but she doesn't want it... only formula. So when she wakes up at night I give her a tiny bottle... 2-4 oz. She finishes it and goes right to sleep.

As for being overweight... When my daughter was seven months old she weighed 22 pounds. She was above the 95th percentile for her weight! I was told that at this age, babies aren't overweight. When she starts walking and gets taller, her weight will balance out. DO NOT restrict her feedings... babies eat when they are hungry, they know what they need.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 10:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Thank Yall SO much. This was really starting to bother me!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2008