Could I get Tetanus?

I reached in my center console in my truck and my husband had a fish hook in there. it poked me a little. can barely see where it got me but it bled a little. i had a tetanus shot about 5-6 years ago... should i still be ok? or should i get another one?? could i get tetanus from the fish hook with just a lttle poke??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Health

• I believe Tetanus shots last 10 years, but you might want to call your doc and ask.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You'll be fine. If the fish hook isn't rusty, I wouldn't be concerned. Plus, tet shots are good and you'll need a booster ever 10 years, not 5. Just make sure you get your booster in a few years and you won't have to worry about anything else if it happens again.

GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

• um yes you can get tetanus...

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:34 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Tetanus is a medical condition...another term for it is Lock Jaw
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:36 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You can "get tetanus" anon but OP you'll be good.

Tetanus (from Ancient Greek: τέτανος tetanos "taut", and τείνειν teinein "to stretch")[1] is a medical condition characterized by a prolonged contraction of skeletal muscle fibers.
    Anonymous

• If it was a rusty hook I would just get another shot just in case. If it gets really red & swollen by tomorrow, it's infected. Put some antibiotic ointment on it now & before bed. Call the Dr. tomorrow especially if it gets swollen or you run a fever!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:38 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Tetanus requires an oxygen free environment (deep puncture wound) and a presence of the bacteria on the item which caused the injury. Most commonly these are found on farms, as the bacteria lives in animal matter and rich soils. However it can also be contracted through insect bites in some rare cases. So, chances are, unless your fish hook hooked some cow poop and stuck you deep enough that oxygen can't get in - you're fine!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If after reading all this great helpful advice you still have concerns call your doctor or check out webmd.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:47 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would to be sure.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:55 PM on May. 23, 2011