Car Seats

At what age do I change car seats? Zoe is 7 months old and is in her baby seat facing the back. At what age do I change her seat and face her forward? I know it's not for a while but I am just curious.
Thanks

MeeShee

Asked by MeeShee at 9:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the age dont matter its the weight when she is 20is she goes into a toddler seat my son was 6 months old when i had to put him in one
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I had to take my baby out of his infant seat when he was 6 months because he was too long to be in it safely. He is in a convertable seat, but still rear facing. You can change them to forward at 1 year AND 20 pounds.
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 9:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• At least 20 lbs AND 1 yr.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• In most states the law is that your child must be one year old AND 20 pounds to forward face. However, that is just the bare minimum requirement. The safest practice is to buy a convertible carseat and keep your child rear-facing to the weight limit of the seat. Different seats have different rear facing weight limits. You may want to start shopping around now so you have your new seat before your child gets to heavy or too tall. Your child should not exceed the weight limit on your infant seat, and the top of her head must be at least an inch below the top of the seat's plastic frame. My son is 19 months old, 25 pounds, and still rear-facing (with no plans to turn him forward any time soon).
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You can put her in a convertible seat at any point, as long as it is placed RF in the car. Legally, you can turn her FF at 12 mos and 20 lbs, but that is just the minimum. It's recommended to keep your baby RF to the limit of the seat, which is usually 30-35 lbs depending on the seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Thanks a bunch for the quick answers ladies. I don't want her FF anytime soon.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 10:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Rear facing until 1 year and at least 20 pounds. Each state is different you can check with your state. But that is how they test the carseats for saftey- so if you switch earlier- you are not using the carseat as per its design and saftey testing.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 10:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I'm in Canada but I am sure the standards should be the same.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 10:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If she is over 20lbs you have to take her out of the baby carrier and get a car seat. Make sure you get one that you can face both backward and forward. My son got out of his baby carrier when he was 7 months and he has been facing forward since he was 11 months.
    Virginie

Answer by Virginie at 11:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2008