Any tips for a natural birth?

Any tips for a natural birth experience?

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 2:45 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Stay out of the hospital.
    stardust1121

Answer by stardust1121 at 2:50 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My top 3 suggestions:
    Get a doula
    Take a childbirth prep class that focuses on comfort measures, coping techniques and informed consent
    Read as much as you can, especially Ina May Gaskin Guide to Childbirth and Henci Goer The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 2:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• i just read a great book called Supernatutral Childbirth, it really helped me on how to focus on what i want to happen with the help of God. i wouls really recomend it it is an amazing book!!!!
    Kambrosino07

Answer by Kambrosino07 at 2:53 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Get a doula, go to a midwife, stay away from the hospital :)
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:15 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Get a Doula
    Choose a Midwife for your care
    Take a child birth class AND I DO NOT MEAN THE ONE THE Hospital offers...all they talk about is pains...HUGE waist of my money!
    Be prepared to deal with the pain through water, massage, movement, etc.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!!!! You do not check ownership to your body at the door. YOU can make decision about what to do during your labor whether that is eating, moving, going to the bathroom, etc.

EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!!! Know what the risks of medical interventions are and how to avoid them. BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!!!
    Anonymous

• I've heard good things about the Gaskin book too. I talked with my new neighbor about this, who's a nurse-midwife, b/c my first baby was born as an unplanned C-section and I don't want to do that again. Her best advice: Get in shape! She said if she had to point to one thing that makes the difference, it's that her fit moms almost all have natural births or at least easy vaginal ones (even as VBACs, which is what we're hoping for) and moms who are less physically active are more likely to go through interventions.

Agree with previous poster though: educate yourself about the possible interventions. There can be a sort of daisy-chain effect where one makes it more likely that you'll have another, and another... and before you know it, it's the epidural, and then the pitocin, and then the C-section...
    LinaMom

Answer by LinaMom at 3:34 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I can't believe I forgot . . . Do not eat crappy food. Focus on getting the highest nutrition content in every bite you eat. Baby will take what s/he needs from your body and if you don't keep up or are already lacking, you will be depleted and thus not in the best shape for birthing.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 3:12 PM on May. 24, 2011