Would it be legal for me to take my 2 kids out of state to visit family if my hubby says I may not take them?

ammj1408

Asked by ammj1408 at 2:53 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on what it the custody arrangement/agreement.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If you two have EQUAL rights and it says in your decree that you have that right (an not only him), then by all means!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:55 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My gf's ex once took his kids on a cruise to Mexico and she was really not going for it. But it was in the decree so there was nothing she could do...
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 2:56 PM on May. 23, 2011

• family-law.justanswer.com

they answer questions regarding family law, is 12 attorneys online.. just type your question in the box...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• And if you're NOT separated (since you say hubby rather than ex in your question), consider the likelihood that you WILL be separated when you get back!

The two of you need to have a pretty intensive discussion about this. It's not illegal for a custodial parent to take a child out of state... but it could open HUGE cans of worms in your relationship and you have to decide whether the visit is THAT important. Risk vs. reward.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree, it depends on the custody agreement
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I don't think you should do something with your kids that you and hubby don't agree upon.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Are you still married? You say hubby, not ex. If you are, I would respect your husband's opinion. You wouldn't want to cause problems in your marriage, right? Talk to him again and see if you can come to some agreement that won't cause problems.

As for the legality of it, I'm not sure. If you're really that set on it, call a lawyer's office and ask.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 12:22 AM on May. 24, 2011