At what age do kids stop believing in Santa?

jdscirto

Asked by jdscirto at 10:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well we have a 10,8, and 4 year old. This is the first year my oldest has said anything, she is 10 and makes comments all the time that santa is not real. My friend and neighbor also has a 10 year old and he has been saying and asking as well for the first time. Our 8 year old still does believe from what I can tell.

nadams558

Answer by nadams558 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i think i was about 9 or 10, my son is only 16months so i have a lot of time lol
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have a 12 year old daughter and a 10 year old son and they still believe!!! They know santa wont come anymore if they don't so I dont think my DD would dare say anything . LOL
    I wouldn't have it anyother way. Longer the better I think, let kids be kids!
    Rjmjpappy

Answer by Rjmjpappy at 11:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Depends on the child. My husband knew at three, on his own, and told his mom there was no such thing - it was just mom and dad pretending to be. Unfortunately he told his older brother. I was seven and asked if Santa was real and got an honest answer. So...My personal train of thought is that if you child asks if Santa is real then they are old enough to receive an honest answer. For me that will include the spirit of Santa Claus, the story of St. Nicholas, and why we continue to give gifts to those we love and care about. I hope my son continues to believe past three...but even when he does know that Santa is mom and dad I will still hang the stockings with care in hopes that Santa will soon be there and wait for that little man so lively and quick that we know in a moment it can only be St. Nick.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I found out when I was about 11 -- I snooped for presents and found them -- then one that I found was a Santa gift for my sister. I was SO BUMMED I swore I'd never snoop again!

I think Santa stopped coming a year or two later...
    ctmom432915

Answer by ctmom432915 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I found out at six by accident. I saw my Mom putting presents under the tree on christmas eve when I got up and looked after she went to bed I saw the present to me from santa. I was sad. Hope fully My dd will believe for a long time. But even when she no longer does I will still get a santa present and put it under the tree for her and her sister. My mom and MIL both buy my DH and I santa presents still LOL Its funny but a tradition that both of our familys have had since before we were even born so we will stick with it.
    Anonymous

• My 10 dd found out by finding presents 2 yrs ago. She has questioned it ever since. We just tell her about the spirit of Christmas that there was a Santa and about why we give gifts to those we love because the 3 wisemen gave gifts.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My 7 year olds muslim friend told him that santa in not real, I told him that santa only goes to people that celebarate christmas houses. I also told him you have to believe in him in order for him to come to your house.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my 8yr. old stepson still believes in Santa... But, we tell him Santa doesn't stop here-we don't tell him Santa isn't real-he just doesn't stop here! We take care of the presents! Besides, we don't have a chimeny for him to come down and our dogs would scare him away!!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I found out when I was 5 and was devestated that my parent's lied to me! But, we talk about St. Nick and watch Christmas movies and make a Birthday cake for Jesus and just have fun!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2008