when should you start talking to your kids about sex? how do you start the converstation? my parents never did have the talk with me so I am totally clueless on what to say

wmays

Asked by wmays at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• Most children start asking questions at a early age. About private parts. Asking little questions.

I always answered their questions as they came up. So by the time they were starting puberty.

10-12 yrs old When I had THE TALK with them they new a little already.

If you wait tell they are teen before you say anything about SEX to them.

They will probably already know about it all.You will be to late telling them.

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My parents extent of the talk was mom saying "I don't like that they are teaching you this crap in school and don't ever do it." I was in 6th grade! My ds was 8 when my sister got pregnant with her 3rd and he wanted to know how the baby really got in there, he had already started hearing things on the school bus! I went to the book store and got a book about where babies come from and that helped me alot! But be careful because they are not all created equally!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Before they learn to talk, at bath time you have to name all their parts and then just take if from there. "And you have this part so you can be a daddy some day." to your son. and to your daughter, "you know how your brother has all those boy parts that hang down from his body, Well you have girl parts up inside where a baby can grow. and that is why mommy's tummies get so big when they are having a baby." A few years and a few million tampon, pad, birth control and ED commercials later and they will ask you anything...
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You start talking as soon as they start asking what makes boys and girls different. Do you explain sex to a preschooler? No. But you answer all questions honestly and with age appropriate words.
    They need to understand what will happen to their body's during puberty by 8 for girls and 9 for boys.
    They need to understand what sex is within a year or so of that if not then.

The critical thing to remember is that it is not one "talk". It is a lifetime of discussion. The more open and honest you are, the more likely your child won't get into trouble because he or she only has the lies of friends to listen to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• just lock the kids in a closet and you wont have to worry about the talk. lol
    just kidding.
    adawn1722

Answer by adawn1722 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2008