How can I get better sleep?

The past few months I've had such a hard time sleeping! I wake up every hour and toss and turn. I've spoke to my doctor, but it didn't really help. She told me to cut down on caffeine, which I have, and she prescriped me Ambien. I feel like the only time I get any sleep is when I take a pill, but I don't want to have to take it forever!! I don't even like taking tylenol. Anyone have any suggestions?

CjsMama914

Asked by CjsMama914 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Health

• I got this email from Womens Health I read it.. If you need anymore info.. Pm me and let me know.. Hope this helps you!! Good luck.. :)
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/get-a-better-nights-sleep?cm_mmc=Newsletter-_-2008_Nov_20-_-Health-_-Are.You.Sabotaging.Your.Sleep.Top.2
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Just take it when you feel like you need it it is habit forming so becareful.
    This is what I do I get done with all my chores, the kids put them to bed around 8.Then I take a pill watch Tv for awhile until I start to dose off and fall asleep then the next morning I feel refreshed I only do this when I can not sleep or when I feel so tired I can't sleep.( Sometimes you can feel soooo tired you feel like u can fall asleep but for some reason ur mind is still racing) weird huh!
    Just do it once in awhile you will be fine. PS I take half of an ambien it works for me.GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Thank you! That was a great article!
    CjsMama914

Answer by CjsMama914 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have extreme...EXTREME...insomnia. I tried OTC pills, but they made me really mean for some reason if I had to wake up in the middle of the night with the kids. I tried prescription but they either didn't work or gave me the same mean reaction as the OTC pills. The only thing that knocks me out is Valium or Xanax and I do have to take them to sleep. I haven't had them due to pregnancy and I haven't slept more than 1 or 2 hours a night for the last 8 months! I don't think it is a matter of addiction to the pills, because before I took them, I wasn't sleeping...when I went off them, I wasn't sleeping. I think it is a matter of me NOT SLEEPING on my own. How long do you do that and sustain yourself with no help? If you need to take the medication to sleep, you need to take it to sleep.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• take vodka....
    8)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I take melatonin every once in a while for a few days. It seems to help get me back in to a routine when I need it. With most 'pills' it is more about setting a routine to induce sleep then actually sleeping. It is natural and works fast.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• More exercise or an activity if you have kids. You might be lacking in vitamin B which is a big problem in a lot of people esp. females. And the caffeine thing I have a problem with as well I can drink it all day long I love coffee! I have learned by trial and error that I can't have ANY caffeine after like 2 or 3 in the afternoon depending on when I get up and motivated.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 5:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have an idea if you want to know just pm me.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 6:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2008