3 year old in lipstick?

My daughter is 3 and likes being in the bathroom while I'm doing my hair and make up. I will give her chapstick as "lipstick" or let her play with my brushes (no make up) to let her pretend. She even has a "Dora" hair dryer she loves. I think it is really cute and I love having her do the "gender play" with me like when a little boy plays with a fake shaving kit and cream to be like daddy.

Well, she was all dressed up in a bright pink dress...we were getting ready to go to see my family for an ornament exchange. This time I let her put on a pink shimmer lip gloss and she ran out to see daddy and tell him how pretty she was. Anyway, we go see my family, and I come to find out that after we left, my family proceeded to talk a bunch of trash about us letting our daughter wear lipstick! Is it that out there? I thought it was cute...and its not like we're going anywhere but to my family!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i don't see ANYTHING wrong with that. your family is probably just stuck in the older days where make up was bad and kids shouldn't touch it til they were 16. You didn't do it to make your daughter look more grown up or anything bad... you did it because she enjoys feeling like a girl should and trying to be like mommy!! I bet she was so excited to have that on her lips too wasn't she? =D i don't see ANYTHING wrong with it!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Whaaat? My cousin is four and my grandma (who usually takes care of her) has been letting her wear RED lipstick for a long time. Of course she'd never take her in public like that, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little girl wearing makeup around her family. Pink shimmer lip gloss is nothing, wtf. Even little makeup kits made for little girls have pink shimmer lip gloss in them >: /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Even if you were going out to every store in your town, it is none of their business. If you want to let your daughter wear lip gloss or lip stick then that is your choice. I think it is perfectly fine. My daughter isnt quite 2 yet and she loves chap stick and she always pretends to put on my make up when I do.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I know right! They would probably crap themselves if they saw her painted toe nails!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• there is nothing worng with letting your three year wear lipstick as long as its not to adult like red i let my daughter wear pink lipgloss and i even paint her toes pink but not her fingernails i find nothing worng in letting your little girl be girly i thnik its so cute when my daughter wants to get pretty and it help with self confidence
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I would ignore the family talk. You know how family is. They will say things regardless. A little lipgloss is nothing to worry about. She is you child do what you want.

Answer by louise2 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• WOW! I'm VERY conservative with my girls and I can whole-heartedly say I think your family WAY overreacted to a little bit of pink shimmer lip gloss!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't think your family should have said anything- but hey, they are family and family loves to pick at each other over trivial things! LOL
    I let me 2 1/2 yo wear nail polish (toes and nails) it is great insentive for her with potty training. I also let her wear chapstick- she loves to do as mommy does...I think a little sparkly lipgloss on a special day is ok- as long as its not lipstick and she's not wearing it daily or anything.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 10:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• She was wanting to be just like Mommy. In this case it had nothing to do with wearing "make-up" and everything to do with mommy-daughter bonding. Very normal and nothing to be concerned at. A little shimmer to be like mom is not the same as "tarting" her up in blood red lipstick, putting her in a short skirt, and also encouraging her to sing sexy songs. I do understand that there are parents who concerned that children are being exposed to too much adult products/materials but there is such a thing as OVER reaction. A little shimmer and nail polish or glitter is often just trying to play at being like mom. Pretty princesses and fairies have all that glam - they want it too. So they just need to chill and next time your daughter is getting ready with you - don't forget to let her have a little girly glam to feel like she is a pretty little princess too. She's worth it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think what you did was just fine. Last yr, my son was in 1st grade, and there was this girl in his class that used to come in with full "warpaint". This girl had foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, bright lipstick, the whole nine yards and then some. I thought THAT was ridiculous. But what you did was very cute and appropriate for her age. I don't know if they still sell them (I only have boys) but I remember when I was a kid you could buy those little play make-up kits for little girls that usually had a little lip gloss and maybe some light pink blush in it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2008