if a recipe for cookies called for shortening, can i use all butter/margerine instead?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can definitely sub butter for shortening. There are a few things that will likely change in the cookies: They will spread more, and be slightly flatter, and they will brown more easily so you'll need to keep an eye on them in the last couple minutes. They will also have a richer flavor and a more tender crumb than those made with shortening. You can combine butter and shortening as well. Depending on the cookies you're making, for most instances I actually prefer butter to shortening.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• you can. it might change it a little.
    zippydooda

Answer by zippydooda at 10:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have before.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Butter makes them more dense and shortening makes them a little lighter. It depends on what kind of cookie. If it is chocolate chip or something it shouldn't matter but if you are doing something that is supposed to have a melt in your mouth texture, shortening works better.

Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes, I never use shortening.

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My DH makes awesome oatmeal cookies w/ chocolate chips and he always uses shortening instead of butter. Thank god he doesn't make them too often or my fingers would be too fat for the keyboard!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 3:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008